chapter 4

It was four in the morning and Chenle hadn't gotten any sleep. No matter how tight he keeps his eyes shut, he just could not do it. Not only was his insomnia was keeping him up, but the anxiousness he was feeling for the first day of classes later too.

The room was silent, nothing was heard but the slight movements of Donghyuck in his sleep. It was dark out, but the dolphin nightlight in the room made it much better.

Chenle was glad Donghyuck did not ridicule him for having one or ask about it. It was much better that way and he would rather not explain himself either way. Donghyuck seemed like the type of person who would not try to pry in someone's business if he could see that it was a senstive topic.

The older was good at reading people, Chenle will give him that much. He hopes he and Donghyuck will get along and become great friends for their time being at the college.

The blonde unplugged his phone from his charger and decided to scroll through some old photos of him and Jisung when they were younger, reminiscing the happier times before it (they) happened and ruined his life.

He let out a long sigh and shut his phone back off. He closed his eyes in hopes of falling asleep, but his body just would not let it happen.

So he stayed up all night.

-🌈-

Presently, Chenle stared at the sunset through his dorm window as he had a clear view of the October sky.

The others had went down to the cafeteria to eat dinner, but Chenle stayed behind because he wasn't hungry. Besides, everyone looked like they were having such a great time and he would only ruin it by being there.

The blonde was already showered and in his dolphin pajama set. Once the sun had set completely, he got into his bed after shutting the lights off, only leaving his nightlight on.

He was tired, truly exhausted, but his body just wouldn't budge. He hated it. He really wished he could have a normal sleep schedule and rest.

But he can't.

All because his brain haunts him. His memories terrorize him.

The jumbles and fumbles of the doorknob alerted Chenle as he sat up from his bed, staring at the door.

Who could it be?

Donghyuck had the key and he was not this noisy when he tried to unlock the door.

Chenle's heart started to pound in nervousness as the knob continued twisting, trying to budge open.

And when it did, Chenle lifted the covers of his bed over his body and hid himself.

"Stupid door," a voice grumbled and Chenle recognized that voice anywhere.

He slid the covers away from his face, his eyes dripping with tears because of how frightened he was.

He got out of bed as the person switched the light on. He walked up to the taller, wrapping his arms around his neck and burying his wet face underneath his chin.

"Lele, why are you crying?" Jisung asked, though his voice got more aggressive. "Did someone hurt you? Who was it?"

Chenle only shook his head on the younger chest. Jisung sighed with relief and circled his arms around the shorter's waist.

Chenle honestly felt stupid. How could he think someone was trying to break in? It's a college dormitory for crying out loud!

And besides, if someone were to actually attempt to break in, would he really hide himself under a blanket and play dead?

'I'm so smart,' Chenle sarcastically said in his mind. 'As if playing dead would protect me.'

"What are you doing here? How come you're not eating with the others?" Chenle asked, his voice quite muffled due to his face in the younger's chest.

Chenle felt the younger's chest vibrate as sound emitted from the taller. He was giggling and boy, did Chenle love Jisung's raspy giggle.

"That was a while ago, it's midnight, Chenle. Donghyuck gave me his room key since he was going to stay with Renjun tonight," Jisung spoke and Chenle pulled away to look at his alarm clock.

He hadn't realized how late and how fast the time went by. He turned back to Jisung who wore a soft smile and suddenly, Chenle felt butterflies abrupt his stomach and he wasn't sure why but he did his best to ignore it.

"Did Hycuk give you the keys, or did you threaten him?" Chenle raised a brow.

"I didn't threaten him~" Jisung whined. "I promise."

Chenle stayed silent.

"I came to check on you. Are you hungry, Le?" Jisung questioned and Chenle shook his head.

"Are you sure? You haven't eaten dinner." Jisung stated and Chenle nodded his head.

"I'm sure. I snacked on some crackers a little while ago," Chenle responded and Jisung hummed.

Without any words, Jisung lifted the smaller and walked him to his bed, laying him down. He reached for Chenle's covers and pulled it over the older just below his chest.

"Get some rest then and make sure you have a big breakfast tomorrow," Jisung spoke softly at the now blushing boy, backing away to leave the room.

Chenle grabbed the younger's arm, making Jisung turn around to face him again, the older's cheeks were stained with dried tears.

"I-I don't want to be alone," Chenle murmured.

"I'm not leaving you, Chenle. I promise," Jisung said as the older tugged him into his bed and sat up.

"I can sleep on the floor so th-"

"Stay up here. With me, please," Chenle looked at him with pleading eyes.

Jisung just can never say no to his best friend. He hesitantly nodded his head and slowly laid down beside Chenle, leaving a foot of space between the two of them.

He was practically on the edge of the bed and Chenle didn't want him sleeping uncomfortably, so he pulled the younger closer as he wrapped his arms around Jisung's waist.

Jisung felt frozen for a few moments. His heart was beating out of his chest and he hoped Chenle could not hear it. Trying to contain himself, he relaxed his body in Chenle's grasp and turned around in the older's arms to face him.

The two stared at each other, neither one of them daring to break the comforting silence between them.

Chenle scooched closer to Jisung, his head buried into the younger's chest as he let his hand crawl into the younger's hair just above his ear.

"I'll never leave you. I'm always here," Jisung whispered, bringing his own hands to play with the older's hair as Chenle sighed in content.

And for the first time in a while, Chenle felt his eyes doze off into a deep sleep through the whole night.

"No need to be afraid. I'm right here with you."

-🌈-

Thank you for reading this chapter! I hope you are all doing well!

NCT 127s Favorite drops in 6 hours!!! Are you excited?! I surely am!

Have a great day/night my lovelies <3
Much love...xx