Chapter 6: The Spot

Nimi

I walk into The Food Hut to get my Delly Meal and see the last person I expected to run into at this joint.

Demilade.

Hoping he wouldn't notice me I cock my head to the side and hobble to the counter. The employee takes my order and I almost believe I made it out unscathed till I hear a voice call me.

Immediately I stop in my tracks, tightening my grip on my nylon bag while Victoria who had been preoccupied with her phone looks in his direction.

"Oh, hi Demilade," I say in response.

He's right by my side in an instant and I wonder what on earth I had done to merit the attention of the most popular boy at my school. "Funny seeing you here."

"Ditto," I comment in a much more quiet voice.

"Anyways, would you and Victoria like to sit with me and my friends? We're just hanging out here for the next hour," he asks brows all furrowed and cute.

Like the novice at social interactions I was, I accidentally speak my thoughts out loud. How on earth did I even score Isren's number again?

"Sorry what?" Demilade asks, eyes sparkling with amusement, confirming yet again my desire for the ground to eat me alive.

I turn to Victoria only to receive a noncommittal shrug. I was on my own this time.

I take a glance at his table, to see the ever malicious Patricia rumored to be his girlfriend sitting cross-legged by his now vacant seat; Brian his fellow track athlete lounging opposite his chair; and the only two seats left wedged between him and Sophia who I was certain had a diamond-encrusted stick shoveled up her anus. Turning back to him I fake a disappointed smile.

"Nothing and I would have loved to join you and your...friends, but I ordered a take out and now all that's left for me to do is 'out', do have a nice time though. Bye Demilade," I say still glued in my spot.

"Well maybe next time..." his smile falters for a second before he gives me a reassuring grin once more, "...have a good evening Nimi, I'll text you later today for the Book Day Presentation follow-up," he says and walks away.

My conscience is suppressed by my relief and I hurry out the door almost forgetting to pull rather than push on my way out.

"Thank you so much for being of help Vic," I say once we're a few feet away from the fast-food joint.

"I was only observing but you seemed to have it handled," she says shooting me a knowing grin.

Not ready to argue I sigh and increase my footpace, she could sing the wedding march song behind me for all I cared.

...........

I jiggle my keys into the door praying Mummy had decided to skip Nollywood binge-watching today and was still at the fellowship. Otherwise, I would not hear the end of me getting how five minutes past seven.

God must have shown me mercy today because the living room is empty and the curtains pulled back. All that could be heard was the comforting sounds of cricket who had come out to play in the neighborhood till my Dad broke it.

"Oluwalonimi!" he calls from upstairs.

I drop my purse on the couch and rush to his study. "Yes, Daddy!"

I unhinge the doorknob and the familiar scent of men's cologne and peppermint greets me. In his study, the walls were painted a cream shade with a mahogany shelf twice my size spanning half the wall adjacent to his desk. On his table various documents littered the space, an iron metal stationery holder rested by the foremost left corner and his laptop sat directly in front of him.