Chapter 29 : The Bitter Truth

"Yes?" I ask, anxious to hear more.

The woman glares at my cutting her off before continuing.

"The test results came back and she is okay. No poison was found in her system other than alcohol and nothing adverse was discovered during the preliminary checkup. The nurses are tending some minor wounds, but otherwise she'll be ready to go in an hour's time."

I nod slowly, the relief in me half filled.

"Can we go see her?" Demilade asks, eyes trailing down the hallway the doctor had come from.

The doctor gives a small smile but shakes her head. "Yes, but I'm going to have to request the bill is settled at the reception."

"That won't be a problem I already paid when we arrived." Isren says and I turn my eyes to him.

Calling Vic's mom at 11pm in the hospital, still dressed like hookers would have been a big mess.

"Well then, I have to see another patient now, I'm sorry for all your friend went through."

Pushing aside my feeling stupid for a moment a manage the words I needed to say. "Thank you so much Isren."

I say, holding back the tears who had showed up at the wrongest time.

He only shrugs and smiles. "It's no big deal really."

I nod and begin to walk ahead when I realise Demilade was waiting so we could all go together.

Instead Isren lingers before calling me back.

"You go ahead, I'll meet up soon." I say and Demilade nods, giving one final glance at Isren before leaving.

"So tonight was a let down?" he says when I'm close enough for his words to reach only my ears.

"A let down?" I repeat, hoping I had heard wrong the first night.

He sighs and puts a hand in his pocket. "Not like that. I mean things didn't go as planned."

"Agreed." I mutter.

"Are you free Saturday?"

I my eyelids flutter and I take a step back. "Yeah why do you ask?"

Though he rolls his eyes I can't help but feel there was more to tge play gesture. "Incase you want to come over. It's the only I day I'm not surrounded by family or associates."

I force a smile inspite of the sinking feeling inside.

Now that I wasn't sucking on his face, my second thoughts had resurfaced, this time twice as strong.

Doing reckless things had been fun, but only tonight had I questioned just how pointless it all was.

"I'll think about it." is all I say.

He says nothing for a moment before using a smile to set me at ease. "Alright, you two need a ride?"

"Nah, the hotel isn't far from here and Demilade came with a car. Thanks for everything though." I say quickly.

With his left leg he closes the distancebetween us and looks down into my eyes, my heart rate picks up its pace but I stay put to appear unaffected.

"Call you then?" he says his voice sending shivers down my spine.

"Sure." I say, and I close my eyes when he leaves a kiss closer to my ear than my cheek.

"Talk soon Mi." he says and I step back as I watch him exit the building.

Something about his effect on me, made me afraid to do what I would surely regret.

Slowly I retrace my steps and head in the direction of Victoria's room.