Chapter 13: Nights in Shining Armor

She smiles at me with red lips and all color drains from Isren's face.

"Hi, I'm Yvonne Ujukwu." the woman says in a British accent, and my brows furrow at the name.

Her hair and complexion said she was mixed but her name told me otherwise.

I concluded one of her parents must be responsible for this and give her a polite grin.

"I'm Nimi and it's nice to meet you," I say purposely omitting my last name.

I would prefer to not have socialites digging up info about my personal life.

"Hi Issie, mind if I join you two?" she asks flashing him a dimpled smile.

I turn to him and his eyes flicker with regret before he turns back to Yvonne.

"You are welcome to but we would like to go dance now," Isren says motioning to the open floor with his eyes.

Her smile slips for a moment before she fixes it back in place.

"Well off you go then, I'll just help myself to the wine in the meantime," Yvonne says and averts her gaze to the table cloth.

Offers me his hand and I take it trying to abate my anger when I meet his gaze.

I must have failed because he winced as he escorted me to the dance floor.

The band changes their tune and the soloist croons new lyrics as Isren gently pulls me by the waist.

I ignore the heat emanating onto my side, focusing instead on our unexpected guest.

"Let me guess, family friend?" I ask sarcastically.

His jaw clenches and he sighs looking past my shoulder. "I'm sorry."

"For the public humiliation, or leaving me in the dark about your female friend who was attending the same event," I say tasting the bitterness with my words.

At this, his grip on my waist tightens and I force myself to reign in the butterflies -now was not the time for hormonal reactions.

"It slipped my mind but she's just what you called her. A family friend-"

To this, I raise a brow and he continues.

"-let me land. She's the latest girl my parents set me up with. I postponed refusing once again but after tonight I'm putting an end to it." he finishes and I nod, my eyes trained on the guitarist instead.

I tried to reason with him but couldn't shake off my jealousy.

She was perfect; used to his affluence, gorgeous with voluptuous curves, and closer in age to him. Not to mention kind and sincere, plus she didn't seem to be the boyfriend snatching type.

"Mimi look at me," he says and slowly I tear my gaze from the musician to the man guiding me across the dance floor.

"What," I answer after my eyes had collided with his honey-brown orbs.

They were luminescent and look otherworldly under the dim light. He brings his face close to mine so that his forehead touches mine.

"You're winsome, alluring every inch a woman as much as she is and to me, even more," he says to me as suddenly he's all I see.

Call it my overwhelming desire to be loved unconditionally despite my flaws, but he made me feel more loved than I had been in my entire life.

As we stare into each other's eyes, even if he asked me for my soul I would give it in a heartbeat.

The melody of the song explodes and I hear the lyrics around us all at once.

I love to love, I love all the ways
I feel so much, I get carried away
I love to love, I just wanna stay
And get carried away, I get carried away