Chapter 9: What Do You Want

"I-I..." the words desert my mouth and I develop a speech impediment over five seconds.

His smile fades and he drops the menu he was holding up to see me better.

It was now or never.

"When Victoria said I was old enough to handle a drink she was right but not completely honest. I'm not 18 or some Uni girl like you may have thought. I turn 18 in a month and I'm in my final year of high school." I confess readily to leave immediately if he was no longer interested in the conversation after long.

"Well do you want to be here?" he asks in a monotonous voice.

I blink confusedly. "What type of question is that?" I ask but he only stares on.

"Okay yes, I do."

"Then I'll wait," he says looking back at his menu like it was no big deal.

"You'll what?" I question pushing down his menu with more force than I intended.

He stares at me with wide eyes ready to laugh but he pipes down at my bewilderment.

"Look I'm not here to tell you how to run your life. I appreciate your honesty, but you're almost an adult and regardless I'm not age mates with your father. So if you're here of your free will who am I to let a good thing go?" Isren explains, ending with a noncommittal shrug.

I am taken aback by the compliment and I'm sure even my melanin was having a hard time fighting my blush.

His intense gaze melts my heart and suddenly I could care less about what the world had to say about the right thing to do.

I never felt more alive than at this moment and I never wanted it to end. It is then a realize our faces are only inches apart and I pull away.

Never kiss on the first date.

He leans back in his seat sparing me one more longing glance before he finalized his meal choice for the afternoon.

.........

I laugh out loud at the story of him getting caught with his girlfriend and how his father nearly castrated him that day.

Customers look in my direction irritated at my breaking the tranquility of the restaurant now and then.

I drop my napkin trying to swallow my remaining giggle and after composing myself I finally speak. "I think these people have had enough of me I should be on my way now, it's almost five o clock."

He nods and calls for the bill. "Yeah you're right to let me handle the check and we'll be on our way."

"Our? I thought you were paying for my transport." I say wondering what he was getting at.

"You've had the afternoon to probe me and I'm pretty sure it's clear I'm not some creepy old predator. So would you like to get in a stranger's car and let him drive you home or you'll do me the honor of escorting you back?" Isren answers and it's a no-brainer.

"Alright, take me to home me with you," I mutter, immediately wishing I could rephrase my sentence. That did not come out how I intended.