Chapter 22: Trouble in Paradise

I lift my shades so I can see my phone screen when I open WhatsApp.

Isren is casually lounging at the opposite end of the plunge pool while I'm propped against a flat sofa.

Of all the things I wanted to do getting my hair wet was not one of them -it had taken forever to air dry from yesterday.

"Hi." I type, then delete as an afterthought.

"I'm sorry..." I begin afresh but don't know how to continue.

I sigh and decide to go through with my final attempt.

"Can we talk?" I send to Demilade.

Immediately his status bar goes dead and it now reads active one minute ago.

My hopes sink in the water and I'm about to switch off my phone when his profile comes back on.

"About?" he answers and my mind goes blank.

His chat was still open so his message already showed read.

I take a plunge and go for the bravest route my circumstances would allow.

"What happened. On a call?" I text back.

There's no further response on his end and I turn on my back to soften the gnarling on my insides -even my stomach was mad at me.

Suddenly the black screen lights up again, I roll over and log back in.

"I'm busy right now. I'll text you when I'm available." is all he says and I shoulder the rejection.

I deserved it.

Still I felt the urge to cry as the gravity of what I had done hung over my shoulders.

"Mimi?" He says and I jolt on my seat.

A few inches from me Isren stood by the edge of the pool with an infectious smile, cold droplets dangling from his hairs like little diamonds in the sunlight.

"You scared me," I say, quickly pushing down my shades he couldn't notice my glassy eyes.

"I only came to greet you since you were so absorbed with your phone," Isren says giving me a pointed look.

Once again guilt adds to my plate and I try to laugh it off.

"Like you don't do it all the time."

At this, he smirks and beckons me with his hands.

"Exactly why I am here lounging in this pool with you. Come over Mi." He says singing out his latest endearment.

I sit up on the sofa bed but make no move to join him.

"My hair will get wet."

"So?" He says like that should be the least of my concerns.

I smile and shake my head, though I knew he was right.

"Who will dry it for me?" I say remaining glued to the cushion.

He floats on his back and answers. "I will."

I can tell by his tone he would be doing more than helping but I continue to act oblivious.

"So you have experience handling an Afro? Is that what you're saying?"

He reached the opposite end of the pool and props his arms on the pavement so he's facing me.

The gesture also allows me to see his muscles ripple and I smile coyly.

"I can handle anything," he says, playing at a double meaning.

"Is that so?" I answer, beginning to have a field day with the fact that no one was around to remind me of how unholy it was to feel what I did.