Chapter 7: In the House of God

I walk into teens church and immediately it's a mess.

Snobby girls walked around in their Sunday best gossiping amongst each other. Boisterous boys huddle around one another laughing at probably the dumbest joke you've ever heard.

And the youth pastor is backing the podium probably going over his lessons for the final time before he had to command the attention of children who had only been forced here by their parents -including me.

I scan the crowd for a familiar face and there he is.

The one boy from school that went to my church fighting off the flirtatious advance of Temilade Williams.

Surprisingly ugly, which I'm not complaining about since it matched her character. Choir master's daughter and ego the size of her parents Lekki Phase 1 Duplex.

The likes of her believed she owned the world because of the heftiness of her ancestors' pockets and had most mindless people fooled.

Not me though, I saw through her two shades lighter thank her skin excuse for makeup and couldn't stand a single ounce of her too-tight braids.

I throw a greeting in the direction of Mr. Femi, our kind teacher, and march onwards in his direction.

"Good morning Demilade is this seat taken. " I ask with a small smile.

We weren't technically friends but under the present circumstances, civility wouldn't hurt.

He smiles like I'm an angel sent to rescue him and lifts his Bible brief from the seat beside him.

Temi's venomous red lips drop into a nasty scowl and I shoot her a sugary sweet grin through my chapped lips.

I took to long picking what to wear and forgot to put on lip balm okay?

"Happy Sunday Temi I think pastor Femi is ready to start service now," I say to her and sure enough, we hear the youth pastor clear his throat as he stands on the little stage in the center of the room.

"I'll be on my way then. I wouldn't want to miss a single word he says. Bye Demi...Uhm Nimi, dang I almost forgot your name, silly me!" She says before she sashays off to her front-row seat reserved by her cream designer bag.

Demilade turns to me still grinning. "Happy Sunday Nimi."

I give him a brief smile before I fix my eyes on Pastor Femi.

I will not be swayed by this boy. Besides, I prefer men.

.......

"Any questions?" our pastor asks scanning the room for any raised hands.

The room remains silent and he sighs after a moment."Okay then if no one has any questions I hope you're prepared because I have some questions for you."

Immediately grumbles, protests and moans ensue. "Quiet everyone!" He says and the noise dies down.

"Pull out your journals and answer this Bible trivia. There are only five questions," he states and begins dictating.

I dig my hand into my bag hoping for a pen somewhere but more words kept flowing and there was no writing material insight for me.

I scramble through my bag in frustration when someone nudges my shoulder and I look up to see Demilade holding out a pen for me.

I take it despite the blow to my ego. "Thanks."

He only nods and looks back at his paper.

"By the way the correct answer is Peter, you're welcome," I say after a moment of hesitation.

His light cheeks go pink and he furiously scribbles on his paper.

...............

My legs swing in rhythm and I adjust my position on the railings to get more comfortable.

I turn my head in the direction of a couple of boys making noise after service.

"I can't believe you got every question right," Demilade says like it's a big deal or something.

"I can't help it, bonafide Church girl," I answer with a shrug.

"You say it like it's a bad thing." he retorts climbing on the railings with me.

I almost slip in surprise and his left-hand reaches out to steady me.

"It's not the worst but all I know is boring facts from an ancient book. So it kinda loses its shine after some time." I say and stare at his hand that hadn't left my back.

He retracts his fingers and looks away. "So you don't believe any of it is real huh?" Demilade asks.

"Well, I don't think it's a lie...I just don't know what to make of it." I say after some time of silence between us.

"I get what you mean. I just started coming to church last year," he says meeting my eyes again.

"Cross-over night, I think I saw you?" I ask surprised by his vulnerability.

He smiles a little at my question before responding. "Yeah, I'm surprised you even remember. I thought it was just me that noticed someone from school in that auditorium."

I laugh wondering how he was so oblivious to how he drew eyes everywhere he went.

"Kinda hard to miss you when-" I stop, all smiles gone from my face.

His eyebrows raise in question.

"Okay, what gives. You ignore my existence for the past five years and our final year in high school you're suddenly talking to me, suddenly everywhere I go, making an effort to be my friend." I say my heart pounding within me.

He tries to answer but I cut him off continuing my rant.

"Don't give me bull about how great you just realize I am. You and I both know that we run in different circles, you're the most popular boy in our school, you hangout with the smart, athletic, rich and pretty. Sure you're nice to everyone but you've never stepped outside of that comfort zone of yours so do tell me why me? Why now? If you're looking for some desperate nerd to play newsflash you've got the wrong one!" I say taking in large gasps for air.

My hands shake from my outburst and I'm shocked at all I've just said.

He looks ashamed of himself and stumbles over his words before he composes himself.

"I-I don't know why either. I just...I've been so lost with my new stepmom and everything. I've been questioning things in my life lately and I thought you might have the answer. I guess that's one reason I started talking to you out of the blue because if you haven't noticed my friends aren't good for much than hangouts and looking good together." He says and for a moment I see a scared eighteen-year-old.

Not the star runner of our school. Not the charming and collected head boy or the most handsome guy in our set. Not the maths prodigy and class valedictorian in the making.

No, the fractured boy with fears, flaws, and confusion on what he was doing with his life like the rest of us.

I only stare not saying the words I wish I could tell him or offering my friendship in the most uncertain of circumstances.

He doesn't look away either and we just sit on the railings staring at each other.

My phone rings and I jump down pulling out my phone so I could see the caller.

Isren. I look back at Demilade ready to run out of there.

"I have to take this, see you at school tomorrow."

Author's Note
If you've made it this far thank you for reading my book! I appreciate every single one of you so much❤️. Please remember to leave a vote if you enjoyed reading it as this really helps my books. Feel free to leave a comment to say hi! Or let me know your thoughts as you read. And share this book with a friend you think would like it.

Thank you and I hope you have a great rest of your day now.

Love y'a :)