Chapter Twenty-Six

I curl up into Thorn's warm side as his arm wraps around the back of my shoulders. We watch the waterfall for a while as we catch our breaths. I check his watch along with him, we've been here for hours. It's almost three. We basically kept going until we ran out of condoms. I didn't think to bring more but I'll remember it for next time.

Just like he said, the bond has relaxed. We have exhausted our energy and frenzy upon each other in so many ways that we can finally feel sane to be with each other.

Now the bond has eased, I can think rationally again. I start thinking more about the eclipse and everything that happened. I remember the two wolves protecting me from the rest, it was like they recognized me in some way. It shouldn't be what I'm focusing on after the amazing few hours Thorn and I have just spent together but I can't stop.

"Why did they turn and not you?" I ask quietly.

"The curse," he says.

I widen my eyes. "How many curses did this woman place on you?"

He makes an amused sound. "Just enough to make me hate her for an entire century."

"And her descendants?"

"Yes. Her descendants too." He smiles at me and plays with a strand of my hair. "You might only be three or four generations behind her. I don't understand why you have never heard of her."

"If her child couldn't transition either then is it possible that the pack cast them out?"

"That's my theory too," he says. "Or she gave the child away to humans to raise. If all of your ancestors couldn't transition then they would have grown up human and wouldn't have known any different."

"Why would she give them up though?"

"To protect them from me," he says.

I turn away uncomfortably. He is insinuating that he would have killed any of the witch's descendants had he come into contact with them over the years. He would have killed me too if he hadn't seen me as a human during the night.

"It was strange," I mumble. "Two of the wolves protected me."

"That is strange," he agrees. "Everything about this is."

"Are our feelings even real?" I say.

He sighs deeply. The question makes him uncomfortable. A few days ago he would have given me an unhesitant no but now he has some things to consider. We both do.

"I don't know. All I know is that I'll keep you safe for the rest of my life, even if we're apart."

I run my hand down his stomach, softly moving my fingers over his scars. "I don't want us to be apart."

He turns and looks into my eyes. His finger drums against my shoulder in a relaxing and pleasurable rhythm. I curl my face into the base of his throat. His lips press into my forehead.

"If the curse was broken then where would you go?" I say. "What do you wish for?"

"Home."

"Back to England?"

"Yes. I'd claim back my father's lands from whichever alpha has probably intruded on them and I'd live out the rest of my mortal days there."

I pull away from him with a frown. "How are you going to get back? International travel doesn't exist anymore."

"We're werewolves, Devon. We can scale oceans just as quickly as woods."

"Oh."

"This is just make-believe, right? A wish?"