Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Miss. Excuse me. Miss."

I snap my eyes open with a sharp breath as a strong hand rubs against my shoulder. My face is pressed up against a window and I watch in confusion as a small group of girls stand around a wooden table drinking from bottles.

I turn my head, meeting the eyes of a strange older gentleman with grey hair and a small beard.

"See? She's fine."

Sky and Dominic sit opposite me in the booth. I lean my head back and blink, rubbing my head slowly.

"Well, I just wanted to make sure," the man says. "You don't look very well. Shall I bring you some water?"

"Yes, bring us some water," Sky says. "I'm thirsty. And hungry. Could you bring us something that lists all of the food you provide to your customers?"

"The menu is right there." The man points down to the table before squinting at her and walking away.

I look back to the window. I see cars and giant trucks driving past on the road. There isn't a tree in sight.

"Everyone's been staring at us since we carried you in here," Sky says. "It's like they think we've abducted you or something." She slides the menu across to me. "Could you tell us what they serve? We can't read."

I blink over and over. This has to be a dream. I can't actually be here, in a diner, so far away from the woods. I hear the boisterous sounds of boys laughing together and it makes me clench my teeth.

"Where are we?"

"Good question," Dominic mumbles.

"I think it's a social building for people to be loud and eat," Sky says as she lifts her head up to look around.

I glare at her. "It's a diner. But where are we?"

"I have no idea," she says. "We can't read the signs."

I slap my head. "How long have I been unconscious?"

"Two hours," Dominic says. "Maybe three. We can't tell the time either."

"This can't be happening," I mutter. "I can't believe he did this to me."

"He was just doing what's best for you," Sky says. "He told us to tell you that he's sorry."

"Sorry? For making me pass out and handing me over to strangers?" I say. "He took my choice away!" I bang my fist onto the table.

Sky leans back with a smirk. "You call that anger?"

The sky is turning red outside. The sun is setting. Sky and Dominic don't seem concerned about it which makes me even more confused. They turn their gaze to the window. The waiter brings over three glasses of water and I sip it nervously.

"Our alpha is very controlling," Sky says. "Once he realizes that we've left then he'll come looking for us. Not him directly but he'll send a group."

"They won't come near human villages," Dominic says. "It's best we stick to populated trails."

"The sun is setting," I say. "Why aren't you panicking?"

They both stare at me simultaneously. It's a little creepy. Sky looks around and checks in various directions before pulling a small plastic bag out of her jacket pocket. I lean closer to get a better look. It looks like the same herb that Thorn used to heal my arm.

"It stops us from transitioning," she says. "But it only lasts for one night. We'll have to take it every morning."

"Until we eventually run out," Dominic says.