Chapter Thirty-One

THORN

Being able to see in the dark is a life-saving advantage. Kira matches my speed and we cover miles of distance within minutes. We'll reach the pack sooner as wolves but I'm still very aware that I am leading the alpha and his army right to the community.

I can hear them behind us. There's a thirty second gap between safety and death. They can't kill me due to their warped beliefs that it will bring a curse upon them but they can kill everyone I care about.

They're not after us. They already know that Devon has left. The alpha has probably sent a group into the human villages to find them. We're racing to the community.

Kira stops suddenly and I almost trip over my own feet trying to stop too. I circle back frantically as she lifts her head to the sky and howls. We're in close enough distance to the pack, they should be able to hear her calls.

I growl at her to let me in. She holds my eyes for several seconds before she surrenders the minding connection over to me. We continue running as frantic voices try to push themselves into the connection. I filter most of them out.

How many? Lucias demands.

Does it matter how many? I hiss. Get the children out of there!

I have three of the children, Balan says. I can't do this on my own. I need help!

I'm coming, several voices say simultaneously.

They have left us in peace for a century, Thorn! Lucias screams. What the hell have you done?

Everyone split up, I order. They won't attack together if you're scattered. Get to water, wash your scents off.

You are not the alpha anymore, Thorn! Lucias says. Do not split up! Stay in your groups and your chances of survival will be greater.

I shake my head angrily. Kira eyes me sadly but Lucias has every right to override my orders. I lost that right a long time ago. I can't let him do it. Their survival and safety comes above his pride and even my own conflictions.

I am the alpha and I am ordering you to split up, I say tensely. The scents will confuse them. It'll force them to break into groups.

There is a long and awkward silence.

Defend your position, Lucias, Daria interjects. We are the ones in charge.

No, you're not, Kira says. My brother is the blood alpha and he has given his orders. Feel free to challenge them in the morning but right now we're about to be ripped to fucking pieces so do as he says!

We're splitting up, one voice says. The minding connection is filled with sounds of agreement.

There's two children left! Balan says desperately. We can't carry this many. They'll be left behind. What do we do?

Can anyone get to the village? I ask.

I'm running as hard as I can, a female werewolf says. My son is in there, Thorn.

I exchange a look with Kira and we run harder.

Leave it with us, Kira says. Get to safety.

I can't leave them, Balan cries.

We're almost there. Get the children that you have out. They're seconds behind us. Run!