eighteen - the numbness

hi everyone and welcome back! i just want to thank you all for being here, for staying and encouraging me to write again. i enjoyed writing this story a year ago, and i really enjoyed getting back into it again although i am trying to work out some kinks as to what i want to happen with it.
i promise i am going to finish it, from the bottom of my heart.
i am going to finish it for all of you.
i've been thinking of writing another fic or an original story after this one is complete, so if that is something you all would like please let me know (i promise i won't leave you all hanging for 10 months without an update).
but again, thank you all for being here.
i hope you enjoy the chapter. it is a bit of a filler but it's to just give context for what's to come.
song for this chapter: empty slow by lil mavi

Numb. There was no other word to describe what Theia was feeling the next morning as she exited Fred's room and padded down the creaking staircase. It was as if a void had opened within her, sucking every emotion that arose down into its darkness. She couldn't feel anything, not happiness, not endearment, not fear. Nothing.

Her mind shut down every emotion, leaving Theia in a ghost like trance as she made her way through the Burrow. It was early, the house silent save for her footsteps as she entered into the kitchen. The sun was peaking over the hills, the soft glow of its climb into the sky not doing anything to change her mood.

The sight of the rising sun usually filled her with warmth, a promise of a brand new day and a fresh start. It was a tradition for her and the twins, along with Ron, to watch the sun rise on the roof of the Astronomy Tower every year on the first day of classes at Hogwarts. Last year, her and Ron did it alone but it still filled her chest with that familiar promise.

But today, there was nothing.

The events of yesterday had no effect on her current mood, the memories flooding into her head. Fred had been nothing but sweet to her for the rest of the day, dotting on her at every chance he got. He never left her side, whispering soft things in her ear to make her laugh, brushing his hands against her skin as if he never wanted to stop touching her. It was nothing short of perfect.

But rather it was the events that were to come that she wasn't looking forward to. That this day most likely would not be filled with a fresh start; it would be the re-opening of old secret moments and crushing feelings of rejection.

I have to see Cassius today. I can't accept the proposal.

Even if Fred wasn't a factor, Theia couldn't bring herself to even think of possibly accepting it. There was no feeling there besides a sexual attraction. Her heart didn't race at the thought of him, her body didn't ache with need to be touched by him, her chest didn't explode into a million tiny fragments every time he walked into a room. No, those feelings were reserved for someone else and that wasn't going to be changing anytime soon.

But has someone else changed Fred's mind about her?

A surge of panic raced through her body at the thought of the mysterious letters belonging to Fred before the void sucked the feeling away but not before the conversation with Ron from the day before flashed in her mind.

"You know I'm not the only one at fault here. He's been getting letters to Ron."

"I know."

"You know?"

"I don't know from who but I know he's been getting them."

How long he had been getting these letters? Who was sending them? Was it even a girl? She at least had reason to believe that it was, the way Ron spoke about them and even how Fred claimed it was different from her letters from Cassius. There was no reason to keep them hidden if it wasn't something he didn't want her knowing.