chapter 26

Astralea's POV

We have been here for 3 days at this point. Mostly figuring out our plans, Rio, Nex and I go around to spy and ask questions, Mira and Demarco usually stay at the safe house, monitoring from there.

So far we know that our main warehouses and homes were taken, but a few were not under our names, so they didn't know about their existence and we took all of those back within the last 3 days.

Nex, Rio and I are currently staying at one of the lofts near downtown. It's more like a penthouse, it's closer to downtown then the other safe house so easier for us to move around.

"Interesting. " Rio says.

"What is it?" I asked.

"This table, it's Italian. "

"I mean, Italian finiture is nice so we got a lot of it here."

"No, I mean, this table belongs to Italian Mafia. See, on the side, there is a print. It was made by Luciano. He is an Italian carpenter who makes furniture for mafias. He puts secret compartments, and if I am right, somewhere here should be a button." Rio processes to move his hand under the table.

After a few seconds he says aha, and presses something. A tiny compartment opens on the side.

"It's empty." Nex says.

"Sad, I was hoping there is something interesting in it."

"What is interesting is how an Italian Mafia table ended up at our safe house?" Nex asks.

He's got a point.

"Could have been a present from my dad I guess." Rio responded.

That's the only logical answer we could find.

........

It's been a week, we managed to get control of 2 warehouses in Brooklyn. Our presence here indeed was necessary. The tension between us is getting higher though.

Rio decided to spend his time being a spy, literally, he asked us to call him James Bond, obviously we said no.

Mira and Demarco are moving between houses now, they are our prime source of information and a few times they even went on the field with us. Demarco actually has a great aim.

I guess him and Mira are similar in that. Both know how to fight but prefer not to.

I have been ignoring Adron's calls. Nex said he wants us to come back, we obviously aren't going to listen.

Enzo... haven't heard from him ever since the plane. Whatever he is thinking or planning, we aren't going to be a part of it.

"What are you doing?" I asked Nex.

He has been in the office for the past 3 days, reminds me of Adron, I don't like that. But instead of looking at maps or laptop he is looking at some old files.

"Just checking something, nothing important. "

"Yeah, you are a shitty liar. Spill."