Chapter Twenty-Four

Zuko leans over Kali, fingers in her hair as she watches him, the two of them are curled up in the shack together on a bedroll, Iroh sleeping against the far wall, snoring away. It's like something clicked in them with that kiss. Like something shifted and settled. Softened. He has her back. Her memories are back. And he finally got to kiss her. That's pretty much a good mood inducer. After the last week, it's welcomed. Even if he fears it won't last. There are still issues. The Avatar. Azula. He can worry about those later. She hums a little, pondering a question about the return of her memories, finding a way to word what happened.

"I don't know" She admits as he draws his fingers through her hair. "It wasn't like a moment that it hit me, I just...I was watching you on the ostrich horse...it was like, I just knew who you were and..." She shakes her head. "It's hard to explain"

"I don't care how it happened" Zuko argues. "I'm just glad that it did" he nudges her nose and she hums in agreement. She lifts her arm, forgetting for a moment that she's still hurt and in pain. She cringes and tries to curl around her arm. Zuko leans back, pulling away knowing that she's in pain and he is going to help her by getting in the way. "Can't you....heal it?" He asks. "Like you did with my head?"

"No, it's too late" She argues as she rubs her arm. "I have to be conscious and I have to get at it straight away...." She scoffs a little. "And I've never healed anything bigger than a stab wound" She sighs. "Lightning is a natural thing, I don't think I would have been able to do it even if I was awake...."

"Natural thing" He points out, she hums and nods.

"What is that thing called?" She asks, thinking. "Oh...Irony?" He snorts a little, brushing her hair back over her shoulder so he can look at her scar.

"This was my fault" He touches the scar on her shoulder. She tilts her head.

"What?" She asks him.

"It's my fault" He repeats, she frowns at him.

"How did you figure that out?" She sets herself closer to him, her leg at his side.

"You were only there because of me..."

"I was there because of me" She argues, he looks at her. "That was the point, right?" She counters as she touches his chest. "That I made that choice myself to follow you, to find you, to stay with you?" He closes his eyes and lets out a breath. "Azula hurt me, and that's on her, but I was with you, I chose you..." He leans forward to press his forehead to hers. "It's not your fault" She assures him softly.

........

Zuko sides on his ostrich horse through a small valley, Kali rides in front of him this time, careful of her arm as she rests against his chest, his arm around her, the other holding to the reins. Her shoulder wouldn't allow for her to sit behind him this time. Plus Zuko rather likes this set-up. And she can't say it's terrible. It's definitely warmer. Iroh rides on the second ostrich horse in front of them, leading the way. Kali cringes a little, clearly in pain and discomfort. The jostling of the ride taking its toll on her back and neck and shoulder. Zuko glances down at her as her fingers tighten into his robes.

"Maybe we should make camp" Zuko voices.

"No, please, don't stop for me" She argues, Zuko watches her concerned, she nods, reassuring him that she's fine, she can do this. But she can't. She's in agony and only a few more steps prove that as she lets out several more pained noises. Zuko pulls the reins of the Ostrich horse, stopping it. Iroh moves to help her down from the ostrich horse. She goes to argue but a look from Zuko stops her. She sighs and lets Iroh help her to her feet. Zuko dismounts behind her as she groans and takes a seat on a large flat rock. Iroh joins her, wanting to check on her injury. It's humiliating. She's just slowing them down at this point. The ostrich horses perk up, pricking their ears, Kali looks at them and then around them. Zuko turns defensive.

What now?" Iroh asks, annoyed. Rough Rhinos streak through the foliage around them. Colonel Mongke's rhino stamps the ground forcefully, breaking the surface crust. Zuko and Iroh both place themselves in front of Kali who curls around her injured side. Colonel Mongke pulls back on the rhino's reins. Zuko continues his defensive posture. Iroh brightens and places a hand on Zuko's shoulder. "Colonel Mongke! What a pleasant surprise!"

"If you're surprised we're here then the Dragon of the West has lost a few steps" Mongke counters, looking down at them sternly. He emphasizes his remarks by making sparks with his bracers. His men ready their weapons.

"You know these guys?" Zuko asks as he holds out his hand behind him, Kali takes it and moves closer to him.

"Sure" Iroh answers. "Colonel Mongke and the Rough Riders are legendary. Each one is a different kind of weapons specialist. They are also a very capable singing group"

"We're not here to give a concert. We're here to apprehend fugitives!" Mongke scolds Iroh.

"Would you like some tea first? I'd love some. How about you, Kachi? I make you as a jasmine man. Am I right?"

"Enough stalling! Round 'em up!" The rhinos seem to have other ideas. Knocking their riders from them before they runoff. One of the riders swings his ball and chain at Iroh. Iroh kicks the ball away. Iroh dodges fire blasts by tumbling along the ground. Zuko keeps Kali behind him, defensive. She watches Iroh dodging blows before she narrows her eyes into a fighting glare. A vine wraps around the rhino riders ankle and lifts him up, flinging him away from them, he shoots through the sky and Iroh waves at him as he goes. An archer shoots a lit arrow at Kali's back as she shifts behind Zuko. Zuko senses the arrow, turns, pushing Kali back, and breaks the arrow apart as it approaches him. Zuko then lets a fire blast loose, which burns a hole in the archer's bow, a hand's width above the archer's hand. The blast passes through the bow and breaks the string. Mongke is seen letting lose fire blast after fire blast at Iroh. Iroh deflects each. Zuko runs up to Mongke, to distract him from Iroh. A brief duel ensues between them. Kali whistles and the two ostrich horses race towards them, Iroh is quick to climb up onto his as Zuko grabs the reins of his own and climbs up, pushing the ostrich horse towards Kai who holds up her good hand, he grabs it and pulls her up with him. The two ostrich horses race them away from the rhino riders.

"It's nice to see old friends" Iroh comments, Zuko turns a look on his uncle.

"Too bad you don't have any old friends that don't want to attack you" He comments.

"Hmm... Old friends that don't want to attack me..." Iroh muses but it is clear that he has come up with no one. Zuko shakes his head and looks down at Kali who sets her head against his head and closes her eyes, clutching at her arm and shoulder. That stop didn't help her injury. Neither did the fight.