Chapter Seventy-Six

Kali is perched on a fallen tree as Katara paces in front of her, Aang sitting on her right and Toph on her left. Sokka leans against a tree, his eyes tracking his sister. Kali is willing to fight for Zuko here. Katara cannot be emotional about this. Aang needs a firebending teacher and a naturebending teacher and Kali needs Zuko.

"Why would he try to fool us like that?" Katara asks. Kali snorts a little, gaining a look from Katara but Kali keeps quiet because right now, Katara is looking for an argument not for someone to stand up for her 'enemy'. "This is just like when we were in prison together at Ba Sing Se. He starts talking about his mother and making it seem like he's an actual human being with feelings" Aang gives Kali an apologetic look because he knows this must suck for her. Sokka is being remarkably quiet about this, because he has heard Kali and he saw the way Zuko was looking at her back there. He might have stuck at his sister's side only moments before, but now he is stewing, the more he sees that something has changed. "I did feel sorry for him. I felt like he was really confused and hurt, but obviously, when the time came, he made his choice, and we paid the price. We can't trust him"

"Azula threatened to kill me if he didn't join her that day" Kali whispers. Katara looks at her sharply as Sokka leans up from the tree. "He stood against you to save my life...." Kali lifts her eyes to look at Katara. "I begged him not to.....but..."

"He didn't want you to die" Toph finishes. "Even if it meant turning....bad" Kali nods in agreement and gives Katara a soft look. "Everything he said about his mother, was true...that Zuko, is my Zuko....the real Zuko" Katara's face muscle twitch a little, because Kali is getting to her and if that's true, if Zuko turned on them for her, then how can Katara hate him for that. If she was honest, then she knows they all would have probably made the same choice.

"I kind of have a confession to make" Aang voices from beside Kali. "Remember when you two were sick and I got captured by Zhao?"

"And you made us suck on frozen frogs? How could I forget?" Sokka comments. "I had a wart on the flap that hangs down from the back of my throat for a month!"

"Sokka, I looked at it, and I told you, there was nothing there!"

"I could feel it! It's my throatal flap!" Sokka argues back at his sister who rolls her eyes.

"Anyway, when Zhao had me chained up, it was Zuko who came in and got me out" Aang tells them. "He risked his life to save me"

"And Appa" Toph reminds them. "He wasn't lying about that"

"He was poisoned" Kali adds. "Saving Appa, he was poisoned. He almost died..." Aang nods along agreeing with her, even though he wasn't there and didn't see, he believes Kali.

"Considering his messed-up family and how he was raised, he could have turned out a lot worse" Toph points out.

"You're right, Toph!" Katara shouts sarcastically. "Let's go back there and give him a medal. The "not as much of a jerk as you could have been" award!"

"All I know is that while he was talking to us, he was sincere. Maybe you're all just letting your hurt feelings keep you from thinking clearly" Toph adds with a shrug.

"Easy for you to say! You weren't there when he had us attacked by pirates!" Katara reminds her.

"Or when he burned down Kyoshi Island!" Sokka adds.

"Or when he tried to capture me at the Fire Temple!" Aang offers, Kali turns to give him a betrayed look. "I got caught up" He defends and sinks into his seat.

"Why would you even try to defend him?" Katara asks Toph.

"Because Katara, you're all ignoring two crucial facts:" Toph starts. "Aang needs a firebending teacher! We can't think of a single person in the world to do the job! Now one shows up on a silver platter, and you won't even think about it?" Toph then stamps her feet on the ground to a point where the ground shakes slightly. "And two....Kali is our friend" She turns her head slightly towards Kali. "And if we say no to Zuko, she walks, and Aang needs a naturebender teacher....." Sokka goes to argue but then stops when he realises that Toph is right. If they deny Zuko then they lose two teachers. Sokka turns to give Katara a look. If none of those reasons are good enough for Katara, then nothing they say is going to be enough.

.......

Kali passes through the trees and back to where Zuko is waiting for them. Kali's animals all huddled up around him so he at least had some comfort and companionship as he waited for them to decide his fate. Zuko's eyes search her face, trying to read their decision on it, but she's actually hiding it pretty well. She touches his arm softly as she reaches him, gently trying to reassure him. Aang, Katara, Sokka, and Toph appear through the trees behind her and Zuko steps closer to Aang. Clutching his hands in front of him as he basically plans to plead before they can say anything to him.

"Listen, I know I didn't explain myself very well" He starts, trying to get a second chance to prove himself here. To plead with them to let him stay. "I've been through a lot in the last few years, and it's been hard. But I'm realizing that I had to go through all those things to learn the truth. I thought I had lost my honour, and that somehow my father could return it to me. But I know now that no one can give you your honour. It's something you earn for yourself, by choosing to do what's right. All I want to do now is play my part in ending this war, and I know my destiny is to help you restore balance to the world" Aang seems moved by Zuko's second chance and even Kali has to say he did do better this time. More sure and confident in himself and what he wants to say.

"I think you are supposed to be my firebending teacher" Aang admits. "When I first tried to learn firebending, I burned Katara, and after that, I never wanted to firebend again" Aang's eyes flicker to Zuko's scarred face. "I know you understand how easy it is to hurt the people you love. I'd like you to teach me" Aang bows before Zuko who lets out a relieved breath. He bows back and smiles softly.

"Thank you. I'm so happy you've accepted me into your group"

"Not so fast. I still have to ask my friends if it's okay with them" Aang stops him, Zuko nods a little. It is going to be a group decision here. They all have to agree. Aang gives Kali a look, asking if they really need her to give her answer. She smiles back at him and nods. She is of course all for Zuko staying. "Toph, what do you think?"

"Go ahead and let him join" Toph was always going to be the easier one to get to because she doesn't have the same issues with Zuko as the others. She is a late joiner and hasn't been involved in all of the stuff that Zuko did to Katara, Sokka, and Aang.

"Sokka?"

"Hey, all I want is to defeat the Fire Lord" Sokka answers. "If you think this is the way to do it, then, I'm all for it"

"Katara?" Aang asks her. Katara still glares at Zuko who lowers his eyes under the stare.

"I'll go along with whatever you think is right" Aang smiles and Zuko relaxes further. Kali takes his hand and he squeezes firmly.

"I won't let you down! I promise!" Zuko states warmly, his relief and joy very clear. Kali sees him looking so much younger at that moment. All the stress of the last few weeks just ebbing away into acceptance and ease. He is not alone. He is here with Kali and her friends are letting him stay and help right the wrongs of his bloodline. Zuko turns to Kali who now smiles softly. He grabs her face in his hands and smiles at her. Kali chuckles and can't help but beam back at him. He's so happy about this. He leans closer and rests his forehead against hers. Sokka pulls a face and turns away and Aang just smiles watching the two of them together. Katara's eyes soften slightly, but not enough that she is going to be seen as completely forgiving him. He'll have to work for that. But Kali is her friend and Toph was right about Aang needing them.