Chapter 21

After not long of a walk I arrived at Jason's apartment building. Currently I was waiting outside of his door, sitting against the wall with Nightmare cage on my lap.

So many people had passed through for their own purposes throughout the time I had been waiting, and everytime some regular person would make their way up the stairs, or come from the elevator I would get my hopes up for if it were Jason.

Eventually, after listening to the tapping of shoes inch closer for around a minute, Jason had arrived and I couldn't be more ecstatic. I dropped Nightmare's cage on the floor next to me and jumped up to greet him.

"JASON! It's about time!!" I yelled, pulling him in for the tightest hug I could give. He jumped from the sudden contact and froze beneath me.

"Jeez y/n, you have no mute button don't ya?" Jason chuckled

"Jason!" I yelled as he playfully covered his ears.

"Such a shame, really.." He added before grabbing his keys from the back pocket of his jeans.

I rolled my eyes at his comment, giving him a playful punch in the arm. Jason unlocked the door.

"So," He started, throwing his keys on a nearby table. "You sounded pretty panicked on the phone, is everything okay?"

Grabbing Nightmare's carrier, I let out a "Tch." laced in attitude. "Yeahhh, everything is perfectly--" I slammed Nightmare's carrier on his coffee table "--FINE."

"Heh, yeah, you're fuuucked..." Jason said with a whisper.

"Yeah, no kidding." I replied sarcastically, crossing my arms

"Well, it can't be all bad right? He still looks really cool." Jason added, trying to make light of the situation. He unlocked Nightmare's cage to get a better look at him. Nightmare let out a low warning growl which was enough for Jason to get the hint and back up.

"Okay, so what exactly is your problem?" Jason asked, falling back onto the couch. He patted the seat next to him, gesturing for me to take a seat with him. I complied.

I took a deep breath, eyeing Nightmare carefully. "I have a family gathering soon.. I don't know all the details but it's being held at my house.."

"Oh shit.." said Jason

"Oh shit indeed.." I sighed tiredly

"Every time I've handed Nightmare off, he just hurts people... Raine's face looks like someone beat her with a cactus, I don't know Daniel well enough, and I could never do that to you with your tight work schedule..." I added, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Oh yeah Daniel, that guy. How'd the date go?" Jason asked, accidentally changing the subject.

"It was really awkward... I had to leave before we even got our drinks cause Raine had an emergency with Nightmare.." I slapped my hands onto my face, groaning into them out of frustration.

"So what do you think I should do? I can't keep him with me..." I asked. The two of us fell silent for a moment, in thought.

"Hmm" Jason stared into the distance, tapping on his phone with his fingers. "You said you got him from Miss Huakai's, yeah?"

I nodded.

Jason held a finger up, signalling to give him a moment. He pulled up his phone and spent a good few minutes typing something into it. Whatever he was looking for it was surely taking a while.

Then suddenly I received a notification, my phone dinging from my pocket. Pulling it out, I noticed it was a message from Jason. That's odd, he's right here. Why doesn't he just speak?

It took me a while to understand, but when I opened the image he sent me, it all made sense. He doesn't want Nightmare hearing...

"Don't speak, just read it." He instructed, I nodded and read what the notes said.

'Nightmare bitties are extremely sensitive to positive emotions, this is the reason why Nightmare and Dream bitties are separated and cannot remain in close contact for too long. While positivity doesn't physically hurt them, it can be damaging to their mental state and relationships if done incorrectly. The Nightmare bitties will adjust to the positivity after being exposed to it over time, this is one of the only ways we know to tame these types with no use of violence.'

"Wait.. he actually-..?" I pointed at Nightmare, Jason nodded.

"Yup, pretty cool right?"

Glancing over at the skeleton, he had been paying close attention to the both of us. In fact I don't think he ever stopped his intense eye contact. I returned my gaze to Jason.

"You just gotta hold out and don't give in." Jason reassured, making it sound as simple as breathing

"I mean I'll give it a shot.. It's just really hard sometimes-" Jason cut me off by tightly gripping my shoulders, his stare suddenly becoming a lot more intense.

"-oh don't give me that!" Jason grabbed me tightly by my shoulders 'you gotta stand up for yourself! Or else what's going to happen? Huh?" He stated.

He was right... I needed to do this or else Nightmare would just turn more and more savage..

Jason lowered his hands down to mine, holding them gently.

"Now, it's pretty late huh? I bet you haven't eaten yet.." Jason stood up, making his way over to the kitchen.

"Oh no, that's fine, you don't have to..." I claimed, shaking her head.

"Y/N! I insist... Please let me do this for you?" Jason requested, already getting equipment from the upper cupboards.

I tensed, suddenly remembering the time. It was dinner time wasn't it? What would happen if my parents came home and I wasn't there..? My stomach growled hungrily. One meal couldn't hurt..

I let out a sigh, "Fine, but I can't stay too long. We can hang out more another night." I stated.

Jason chuckled, "I'll settle for that."