Chapter 6

After the many minutes of running, I came to a stop, gripping onto the brick walls for dear life as I caught my breath. My throat was cold and strained which made it painful to even breathe. I gulped down what little saliva and walked into the retail store. I quickly walked as fast as I could to the staff room, despite my shaking legs wanting otherwise. I took the key card out of my carry bag and unlocked the door, seeing all my co-workers at the meeting table inside. "Yo wassup Y/N..?" One of the cashiers spoke up, greeting me. His name was Jason, 20 years old, he's been working here for about two years now. "Nothin' much.." I responded, completely out of breath.

"Good thing you didn't show up too late, boss might've seen you if you came any later..." Aviana, another good co-worker of mine, chimed in. Aviana threw me my spare work clothes. A black polo shirt with a red target stitched into my pocket and my spare jeans. "You better get ready before he catches ya." She stated, shooing me towards the bathrooms. I laughed as I left to get changed. Once I came back, most of the staff left to their jobs as a couple remained in the staff room, finishing off their lunch. I decided to take a seat and enjoy what small break I had and chat with the guys. I seated myself in between Jason and Dyson, two pretty good friends of mine.

"What's up shorty..? Ya looking nice today." Dyson stated, eating his sandwich with one hand as he pointed to my messy ass hair with the other. "Ha and Ha." I replied, not finding his teasing comment funny. "I was in a rush to get here and didn't bother brushing my hair this morning. I thought I would have time to go back home this morning. (did you call me short..? were the fucking same height dumbass!)" I explained, mumbling the last part as I earned a chuckle from his full mouth.

"Well..? What we're you busy doing this morning..?" Jason questioned, starting a new conversation. "I was with Raine." I stated disappointedly, face palming lightly. "That chick that annoys you all the time..?" Dyson added with his mouth full, I gave a nod. Dyson howls with laughter. "Damn I feel bad for you! That kid is nothing but an annoying piece of shit!! Why the fuck we're you even stuck with her anyways?!" He yelled, slamming his fists onto the table in a wild fit of laughter.

"She was taking me to some bitty shelter, I tried to wait her out, but the stubborn bitch is too determined to quit.." I responded, resting on my tired arms. "Why were you at a shelter? Are you interested in a bitty or something..?" Jason asked, genuinely curious as I fazed Dyson out of the conversation. It was nice to have someone at work I could talk to who wasn't, well.. like Dyson. The others weren't really the type I would talk to or they were just straight up bitches. Jason was the chill one. "Yeah, I guess. I'm not too sure if I really want one though. Just kinda thinking about it" I pulled head up, now using my hand for support, giving Jason I tired look. He smiled. "Well, you do seem lonely all the time, It would be nice if there was someone to keep you company. Sorry if they sounded offensive at all.."

"Nah, you're good bro. Honestly its sweet how much you care." I added calmly, stretching my arms out in front of myself before standing up. "Well, I can't pull myself away from work any longer without getting into trouble. We'll talk later." I closed off, waving as I left.

Walking across the pristine white floors, I stared down at my reflection. Ignoring the lights reflection from above me, I took in my features. Damn I really do look like shit... I sighed, changing my direction to the men's clothes section of the store. After making my way there, I pulled over the large doors and stepped into the cold storage room. After all the trucks got unloaded, the boxes were all put here for us to shelve. My partner was already busy at the moment unpackaging the clothes and other merchandise, leaving me with the other half.

I pulled over one of the stone-cold metal trolleys, already pre-loaded with a shit ton of heavy ass boxes. I stared at the pile with irritation. After dragging the little bitch up the ramp, I left it sitting just outside the doors as I equip myself up with the necessary tools for unpackaging. My walkie talkie for communicating with other workers, my box cutter, my hand scanner, and a couple other things like keys and such.

I sighed, pushing the multiple trolleys around for about three or so hours, helping customers every so often. Until finally, finally, my shift was over. It was around 6:30ish when I got off. Even though we shut at 5pm, were all meant to stay after hours to clean up or complete unfinished work. I said my goodbyes to the other staff as we parted ways outside the building. I walked home with Jason.

Jason doesn't live to far from my place, so he usually walks me home. He says he does it to keep me company, but I honestly think he's just trying to be protective. God, he tries so hard for attention. It's cute. We arrive at my place. I give him a wave and thank him for walking me home as per usual. It feels good to have a friend like him. After making it inside, I immediately flopped my exhausted body onto the couch, my arms hurting from lifting boxes for the last three hours. I groaned into the cushioning of the couch, knowing it would soften the sound enough to not let my parents hear and complain from the echoing. Before I knew it I had fallen asleep from exhaustion.

Published 5th July 2020 3:00am