Chapter 4

I stared at my reflection in the glass doors, the shelter's title stuck on the door with a fancy font. 

[Miss Huakai's Bitty Shelter] 

Am I ready to take care of something like this? I mean, I'm not really allowed one, maybe this isn't the best idea... But then again, it is getting pretty lonely throughout the day. 

Grabbing the cold metal bar, I pushed open the glass doors, stepping into the heated lobby

Shielding my eyes from the blinding light above, it took a second to properly adjust to the room. upon closer inspection, the shelter had seemed pretty kitted out. 

There was a built-in cafe, Bitty shopping, and more. I was honestly quite impressed with the number of things they used to care for these creatures. Raine and I walked up to the front desk.

"Hello! Welcome to Miss Haikai's Bitty Shelter! How may I help you today?" The assistant welcomed me. Her forced happiness made me feel more uncomfortable than I originally was. 

"Hi there Miss Jessica! It's me from the other week!" Raine replied, the blue bitty on her shoulder giving 'Miss Jessica' a wave.

"Oh! Hello Raine! How have you been?" Miss Jessica asked, cocking her head to the side as her hands lifted from the keyboard. 

"Good! My friend Y/N was thinking about adopting one of your bittys!" She replied, her hands gripping the edge of the wooden counter. 

"Oh, that's great! Follow me." We followed her into the next room.

Now in the next room, I expected to see them all in captivity, kept in enclosures or something. But instead, the Bittys were given free roam over. 

There were perches all over the walls and little bridges hanging above us. It was like a real shelter. The bittys were given food, outdoor time, and a comfortable place to live. It was more pleasant compared to some of the stories I've heard online.

"Here at Miss Haukai's Bitty Shelter, we highly discipline our Bittys, teach them to behave properly and give them the best life they could live here." Miss Jessica began. Once we walked into the room, several of the tiny skeletons started watching us. 

With so many eyes on me, it was hard not to be uncomfortable. Many tiny whispers were spread around the room as some bitties excitedly waved at me. There sure was a large variety...

"These are our 'happy' bittys, our more popular choice." She said, handing me a booklet of different types of bittys. 

What the hell is the term 'Happy Bittys' supposed to mean?? This place is so forcefully positive it's making me kinda nervous... 

I don't think she could tell I was uncomfortable. 

"You may go have a look at them if you wish Miss." I awkwardly stared her down.

Raine nudged me with her shoulder as she squatted down near all the bittys. I did the same, as to not look awkward. 

I sat on my knees and nervously glanced at each of the bitties. A lot of them I could tell was the same, seeing duplicates in the crowd. A copy of the yellow one I saw in the picture yesterday came up first with a couple of his friends. 

"Miss? Are you okay? You look uncomfortable.." The yellow one's friend said I flinched as my eyes focused on him.

"Uhh yeah. I'm fine, just never been to one of these places before.." I replied awkwardly. My hands relaxed on my legs as the bitty stepped forwards and hugged my wrist. 

"It's alright Miss, you don't need to be uncomfortable." He said. Even though him saying that made me more uncomfortable, I wasn't going to let it out. Instead, I smiled at him. He smiled back.

"Now that you've gotten acquainted with a couple of Bittys, would you like to move into the next room?" Miss Jessica proposed. I nodded as Raine and I followed in silence. 

"In this next room, we have the more, unstable Bittys..." 

Unstable? 

"These Bittys aren't quite as friendly as the Bittys you had met before." She exclaimed, gently pointing at the next set of doors.

"We must go through this room to proceed." She added. 

The way this place worked made it seem like a tour of a zoo of some kind, making it weirder when you remembered that this is an adoption shelter. 

Miss Jessica pushed open the doors as we made out way through. Inside was something that I could not believe. Raine tried to look away.

Sitting on their own little shelf was each unstable Bittys glass cage. I wish I was joking. I stared at Miss Jessica, she noticed my glance. 

"Is there something wrong...?" She kindly asked with her usual fake smile. 

"Something wrong?! are you kidding me!! you guys have been keeping these Bittys in glass fucking cages!! This is cruel!" I shouted, pointing to a nearby cage. 

"I'm sorry Miss, I can't control how things are handled he-" 

"I'm sorry, do you not care that these bittys are kept under solitary confinement!! These cages are meant to be for pet snakes! not bittys!" I added, shocking the assistant. Raine hugged me from behind to help calm me. Miss Jessica appeared to be shaking, and her grip on her black clipboard tightened. 

"I do care... There's nothing I can do. Trust me, I've tried." She replied weakly, I sighed, calming myself.

"Tell me more about them..." I quietly asked, turning my body towards the left side of the cages. Miss Jessica nodded. 

"Number #238, Horror Bitty. His tests were shown to be quite, harmful... He's extremely carnivorous and is difficult to tame. Numbers #243 and #244, Killer and Dust Bittys. They're extremely mischievous and get up to all sorts of trouble, under the wrong care, serious damage could be done. And number #246, Nightmare Bitty. All the other unstable bittys highly respect him, although they're kept in their, cages... They've escaped one too many times and caused chaos in the shelter. He acts as their leader and is their 'inspiration' for their misbehaviour.." Miss Jessica explained. I took in every word.

"Alright..."

"Would you like to move into the next room Miss?"

"Sure.."