Chapter 13

Turning the corner, only one street away, I noticed a familiar somebody waiting outside my house.

What on earth is Jason doing here..? Isn't he meant to be at work at the moment..?

I walked up to him, he caught sight of me, his face lighting up.

"Oh hey, you're back!" He commented happily.

"Yeah? Why are you here? Don't you have work?" I asked, genuinely curious, I crossed my arms and positioned the cage comfortably on my side.

"I had a family thing going on but that ended early so I thought I could sneak the rest of the day off and come here." He answered.

"Oh.. Wait how did you know I was home?"

"Because if you check discord, your idle and not on do not disturb and your status isn't set to fuck off in all caps." Jason explained, waving his phone in his hands.

"Wow you really do know me.." I answered mildly shocked. I did not expect him to notice little thigs like that.

"Why wouldn't I? We're friends." He replied. Jason was always a chill guy, Im glad we started hanging out more this year, I didn't expect us to become friends this quickly. Although he's a little clingy he's pretty cool.

"True. Come on in, just make sure to be quiet cause my dad's asleep." I proposed, making my way towards the door, Jason nodded as he stood by my side.

Rummaging my hands through my pockets, I took out my keys and unlocked the door. I pushed it open with my forearm. I help my arm out, letting Jason go through first. He chuckled as he thanked me and walked through. We both went to my room.

Jason sat down at my desk, fiddling around with my pens and pencils.

I placed Nightmares cage on my bed as I flopped onto the floor. Jason noticed the cage.

"Okay I didn't say anything about it earlier but what's with the cage..?" He asked, spinning around on my wheelie chair to face me.

"Oh, right. You don't know yet.." I said to myself, groaning as I sat up. Jason looked at me confused and curious.

"You remember how at work I said that Raine was taking me too that bitty place..? Yeah well we went to go get one, buuuuuut.." I started, pointing behind me at the cage with my thumb.

"But..?" Just asked, pushing me to continue.

"But there was a mix up, they didn't give me the one I chose to adopt, and I got one of the unstable bittys." I finished; Jason looked concerned at the name of the unstable bitties.

"W..What do you mean?" He asked, bringing his legs up to sit cross legged.

"They gave me the wrong one." I stated.

"And why don't you just return it..?" He asked, leaning on his hand.

"Because the-! Ugh.. I accidentally adopted one of the unstable bittys, they're the ones that are surprise surprise! unstable. I've seen how they take care of them there and its cruel, I would hate myself if I sent him back there." I explained, my tone irritated by the situation.

"Okay, well that's understandable.."

"Well which one did you get?" He asked. I didn't want to respond, knowing what his response would be. I waited a couple seconds before responding.

"...Nightmare..." I mumbled

"Oooh, ohohooo... That's bad.." He said, his laugh filled with some kind of sympathy.

"Yeah.. I only just got him earlier and I have no idea what to do next.." I exclaimed.

"Well you are able to at least gain their trust and make a bond but its probably going to take a while.. Do your parents know about this..?" Jason said

"No.. They don't know I adopted a bitty let alone an unstable one.. How am I going to go this..?" I asked. Jason shrugged his shoulders.

"I don't really know much about bitties and there's nobody I could ask that owns an unstable one.."

"I mean I can try help you, but I don't really know what I can do."

"Maybe try and lay down some ground rules..?" He suggested

"Yeah, I guess I could try, but im too nervous to open his cage.." I mumble, trying not to think about him being right behind me.

"Don't just open his cage and wait for him to come out, let him come out when he wants. Just keep an eye on him." Jason suggested once more, reaching his hand out to grab the cage. I turned around and handed it to him as carefully as possible.

He placed it on my desk and unclipped the small door.

"See..? Its not that hard if you don't think too much into it." He said

Nightmare remained in the cage; door open as his piercing cyan eye stared at me.

I knew that all windows and doors were shut so there was no way he could escape, I just had to wait for him to come out when he was ready.

"Okay.. Okay I get it.." I mumbled, staring at his cage with a little anxiety.

"Leave him be, he'll be fine.."

"Just maybe keep an eye on the door for a while.." Jason suggested, laughing as he sat down next to me.

Jason and I hung out for a while, chatting about random things going on in our lives. We had a couple good laughs, it was fun.

Occasionally I would look over and check up on Nightmare, still the same aura as usual, except this time his singular eye wasn't starring at me, was he asleep or something..? I decided to leave him be like Jason said. He was right, I just have to wait til Nightmares comfortable enough to come out.

Published 2nd October 2020 2:00 pm