Chapter 5

I held my head high, unlike the two others on our way to the next room. The disgusted expression still moulded onto my face. 

This place was no different from the countless other bitty 'shelters'. Just the thought of bittys being held in glass cages every day made me shiver. 

No matter how insolent, it's ridiculous that they'd be kept in cages of all things. I took a deep breath, holding for a few seconds. Raine saw me calming down and let go. I exhaled.

The next set of doors came into view, a laminated poster hanging on the door. The poster had a simple drawing of someone pressing a finger to their lips, saying 

"Please be quiet before entering". This confused me, what other types of bittys are we gonna see? Either way, we continued. Miss Jessica assumed we saw the sign and began to approach the doors.

She slowly cracked open the door, peering inside as to not frighten anything. The light slowly crept inwards, as did we. The room was extremely dark, we were barely able to see anything besides faint outlines of things handing off the walls.

I kept my eyes on Miss Jessica, she quickly leads us out of the room. Raine grabbed my wrist before clutching onto my arm, shaking. I rolled my eyes, my fingers fiddling with themselves, distracting me so I wouldn't yell at her, (not like it would work). 

Miss Jessica open the doors exiting the strange room, where they're meant to be bitties in there? 

"Sorry we couldn't spend much time in there, I didn't realise it was lights out already..." She apologised, trying to speak as quietly as possible. 

"Uhh, no problem, but what was in there exactly...??" I asked, shaking Raine off me with ease.

"Those were our damaged bitties.." she replied, I felt my nose scrunch up at the name. 

"care to elaborate...?" I ordered, crossing my arms while Miss Jessica nodded hastily. 

"B-Before you say that we're doing anything bad to them, I just want you to clarify that we're taking extremely good care of these bitties... Damaged bitties are the bitties that have been, mistreated, so to speak. After they've been cast aside or turned in, we move them to a separate room where we can safely guide them back to health. Some don't make it, but we have more wins than losses so far! The reason why they were in the dark is the cause of their routine. We keep them by routine so that way they know what's coming and when, so they have no reason to be worried." Miss Jessica explained, being careful by her choice of words. I nodded, satisfied with her answer.

"Alright, let's move on.." Miss Jessica declared, reaching her arm out to direct us down the next corridor, her other hand shaking as she clutched her clipboard tight. I looked back at Raine before making out way forward. 

Smiling at Miss Jessica as I passed her, I hope I didn't come off as too much of a bitch... I can accidentally do that sometimes..

We each made our way through the next set of doors, I immediately knew we were at the end once we made out way through, greeted by the lobby once more. 

Miss Jessica went to go and sit back down at the front desk next to another girl who must've appeared while we were gone. 

"Now, were you at all interested in adopting a bitty today..?" She stated, setting some papers prepared. Her comment set me back into my thoughts. 

Do I want to do this..? I'm not sure if I'm ready for this kind of responsibility yet... Even then, which bitty do I choose..?

"I-I don't think ill be adopting a bitty today. Maybe soon, but I have a lot to go over first." I replied, taking a pamphlet or two from their plastic stands. 

"I understand miss, most of our customers come back later on anyways." I smiled, nodding as I turned my head to Raine, she seemed to be picking at her nails, distracted. 

"Thanks for the tour, I might come back soon depending on how things go." I mentioned, stuffing the pamphlets into my pocket as I gave a small wave goodbye. 

"Come on Raine" I called, Raine quickly snapped out from her distraction and followed my lead.

It was only now that I remembered about Raine's bitty. Once the reminder was processed through my mind, I turned to check on him. 

He seemed to be laying comfortably in Raine's hoodie, sleeping. If I was being honest, he was pretty cute.

Maybe having one wouldn't be so bad..?

I would obviously not go for something as cutesy and cuddly as Raine's or others, but I feel like I could definitely handle one. Raine and I made it not too far down the quiet street. It was at this point I remembered something urgent, 

I needed to get to work

As soon as the memory hit me I jumped, stopping in place as I pat myself down, checking I had everything. Raine looked back with concern. 

"What happened Y/N..? You good..?" 

oh fuck, I might not make it in time...

"Shit shit shit!! I'm gonna be late for work!!" I yelled, pulling my phone from my hoodie pocket, the time stressed me even more. 

"Its fine! I-I'll call an uber for you and you can get to work quicker!" Raine rushed, unlocking her phone. 

"NO FUCKING TIME DUDE I GOTTA BOOK IT!!!" I said, stashing my phone in my pocket before dashing down the street at full speed. If I got to work late, my manager is gonna be so fucking pissed if I don't make it on time again.