Chapter 24

Jason's POV

The early night was cold and empty, with nothing but the sounds of chirping crickets and the faint humming of cars in the distance.

With the carrier in one hand, and phone in the other, I arrived back at Y/N's place.

Following her earlier instructions, I went straight to the window she showed me and waited. Faint arguing from the other side of the house.

"Jeez, she must be getting scolded again..." I sighed to myself.

Since I figured that this would take a while, I decided to at least make myself comfy. Leaning against the brick walls of the house, I sank to the grassy floor between some bushes. Nightmare's carrier was placed on my lap.

Although my phone had been charged and available, I instead decided to try spark a conversation between Nightmare and I.

"So Nightmare," I began, giving a quick tap to the top of his carrier to catch his attention.

"Are you hungry? I know you said you weren't hungry when I offered you food back at my place, but-.."

Nightmare didn't give a spoken response, but instead let out a low warning growl.

"Hey- Woah, buddy. Look, there's no need to be aggressive like that." I chuckled, jokingly holding my hands up in defence as if he were able to hurt me.

"I was just curious, when was the last time you ate?" I asked, once again I gained no response so I took his silence as a yes.

Well, it's no wonder he's so grumpy all the time...

"Nightmare, If you're hungry I can ask Y/N for food if you wan-"

"Look asshole, I don't need help from you or your little girlfriend." Nightmare hissed, his tiny skeletal hands gripping the bars of his carrier door. Although he was trying to look angry and annoyed, I couldn't help but find it slightly amusing.

"Nah, she's not my girlfriend." I laughed, letting out an amused sigh, "But she is still your caretaker."

Nightmare seemed to have no interest in whether Y/N was his caretaker or not, and instead continued to chuckle lowly in that strangely deep voice of his.

"You wish she was your girlfriend though, don't you?" Nightmare asked, although it sounded more like a statement. "You can't lie to your emotions, Jason..."

That little shit..

I felt stunned.

Emotions like those were ones I tended to push aside and ignore, after all I had never felt like I needed a relationship before.

But whenever I had been with Y/N, I found myself wanting one...

I've been trying to ignore thoughts like those for who knows how long now. Thoughts of us spending time together, thoughts of her living with me.

thoughts of her...- ah, nevermind...

Nothing but silly daydreams...

"Oh isn't that sweet." Nightmare commented sarcastically, baring a toothy smug grin.

"My emotions shouldn't be a concern for you, Nightmare." I spat back, eyes narrowing at his cage.

I knew what he was doing, and he was not going to succeed. If Nightmare was going to do so much as think about manipulating my emotions, oh boy was I going to be mad...

"Well, Jason. That's exactly where you're wrong..." Nightmare corrected. "For as long as you're apart of her life, I'll have to deal with those emotions."

What Nightmare said had suddenly sparked a revelation within me, he was right..

My emotions did effect Nightmare...

"And you don't want to make me mad... Do you, Jason?" Nightmare warned, a sick smile growing onto his skull. However Nightmare wasn't the only one with a cheeky plan up their sleeve.

"Oh, of course not..." I replied, only to be distracted by the faint sound of footsteps coming from the room behind me.

Right! Y/N! How could I forget.

Quickly rising to my feet, I prepared to hand over the carrier when suddenly Y/N tore the curtains apart. She had torn them so fast that I nearly dropped the carrier from pure shock.

We spoke for a moment or two, general greetings and thank yous.

Well, that was before Y/N's mother decided to come barging in...

I yanked the carrier back towards my check, in hopes of tricking Y/Ns mother into thinking it was still my own. It worked surprisingly well...

Y/N's mother had been on about some "young love" thing, which as much as I would've loved to gloss over that part, was now stuck in the back of my mind. Did they think we were a couple...?

Y/N's mother left the room after she placed Y/Ns tea on her desk, closing the door behind her.

After that awkward and confusing conversation, I handed Nightmare back over to his rightful caretaker.

Y/N then closed her bedroom window and curtains, but not before we said a very quick goodbye. Breathing a sigh of relief that Nightmare was out of my hands, I began to make my way back to my car.

Although my time with Nightmare was temporary, the information he had provided me had just given me a great idea. Maybe those daydreams of spending more time with Y/N would come sooner than I thought...?

I could only hope...

═════════•°•❖•°•═════════

Seems like Jason's keeping some secrets....

(also sorry for the short chapter, I struggled with this one...)