𝟑.𝟗 𝐩𝐚𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐮𝐬𝐞𝐬

Harry knew that Hermione had meant well, but that didn't stop Harry from being angry with her. 

Ron was furious with Hermione too. As far as he was concerned, the stripping-down of a brandnew Firebolt was nothing less than criminal damage. 

Hermione, who remained convinced that she had acted for the best, started avoiding the common room, Y/n usually sticking with her. Harry and Ron supposed they had taken refuge in the library and didn't try to persuade Hermione to come back.

 All in all, they were glad when the rest of the school returned shortly after New Year, and Gryffindor Tower became crowded and noisy again. 

Wood sought Harry out on the night before term started.

"Had a good Christmas?" he said, and then, without waiting for an answer, he sat down, lowered his voice, and said, "I've been, doing some thinking over Christmas, Harry. After last match, you know. If the Dementors come to the next one... I mean... we can't afford you to — well —"

Wood broke off, looking awkward.

"I'm working on it," said Harry quickly. "Professor Lupin said he'd train me to ward off the Dementors. We should be starting this week. He said he'd have time after Christmas."

"Ah," said Wood, his expression clearing. "Well, in that case — I really didn't want to lose you as Seeker, Harry. And have you ordered a new broom yet?"

"No," said Harry.

"What! You'd better get a move on, you know — you can't ride that Shooting Star against Ravenclaw!"

"He got a Firebolt for Christmas, Y/n too" said Ron.

"Firebolts? No! Seriously? Real Firebolts?"

"Don't get excited, Oliver," said Harry gloomily. "Y/n and I haven't got them anymore. They were confiscated." And he explained all about how the Firebolts were now being checked for jinxes.

"Jinxed? How could they be jinxed?"

"Sirius Black," Harry said wearily. "He's supposed to be after Y/n and I. So McGonagall reckons he might have sent it."

Waving aside the information that a famous murderer was after his Seeker and Chaser, Wood said, "But Black couldn't have bought two Firebolts! He's on the run! The whole country's on the lookout for him! How could he just walk into Quality Quidditch Supplies and buy two broomsticks?"

"I know," said Harry, "but McGonagall still wants to strip them down —"

Wood went pale.

"I'll go and talk to her, Harry," he promised. "I'll make her see reason... Firebolts... real Firebolts, on our team... She wants Gryffindor to win as much as we do... I'll make her see sense. Firebolts..."

Classes started again the next day. 

It was Defense Against the Dark Arts that Harry was keen to get to; after his conversation with Wood, he wanted to get started on his anti-Dementor lessons as soon as possible.

"Ah yes," said Lupin, when Harry reminded him of his promise at the end of class. "Let me see... how about eight o'clock on Thursday evening? Let Y/n know too won't you? The History of Magic classroom should be large enough... I'll have to think carefully about how we're going to do this... We can't bring a real Dementor into the castle to practice on..."

"Still looks ill, doesn't he?" said Ron as they walked down the corridor, heading to dinner. "What d'you reckon's the matter with him?"

There was a loud and impatient "tuh" from behind them. It was Hermione, who had been sitting at the feet of a suit of armor with Y/n, repacking her bag, which was so full of books it wouldn't close.