𝟔.𝟕 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐮𝐦𝐬𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐫𝐚

Patches of bright blue sky were beginning to appear over the castle turrets, but these signs of approaching summer did not lift Harry's mood.

He had been thwarted, both in his attempts to find out what Malfoy was doing, and in his efforts to start a conversation with Slughorn that might lead, somehow, to Slughorn hand-ing over the memory he had apparently suppressed for decades.

"For the last time, just forget about Malfoy," Hermione told Harry firmly.

They were sitting with Ron and Y/n in a sunny corner of the courtyard after lunch. Hermione and Ron were both clutching a Ministry of Magic leaflet — Common Apparition Mistakes and How to Avoid Them — for they were taking their tests that very afternoon, but by and large the leaflets had not proved soothing to the nerves.

Y/n was plain bored. She was creating little flowers in her palm.

When Y/n first showed this magic to the rest of them a few weeks ago, Harry and Ron were absolutely amazed. Y/n's lessons with Professor McGonagall had clearly been going well because Y/n was learning to control her magic much more efficiently. She could now control the elements of water, fire, and mostly earth. Wind was something that was still based on her emotions.

Currently though Y/n was barely focusing on her magic. The flower was blooming effortlessly in her palm, but her eyes did not even glance down at it. She was staring into the distance with her eyes glazed over. Not only was Harry obsessed with Malfoy's whereabouts, but Y/n had also been stressing over Draco.

Harry didn't understand how Y/n could care so much for her cousin. It was odd that she only cared for Draco because she did not even like the idea of being related to the rest of her family.

Harry knew there was a deeper idea behind this.

Ron gave a start and tried to hide behind Hermione as a girl came around the corner.

"It isn't Lavender," said Hermione wearily.

"Oh, good," said Ron, relaxing.

"Harry Potter?" said the girl. "I was asked to give you this."

"Thanks..." Harry's heart sank as he took the small scroll of parchment. Once the girl was out of earshot he said, "Dumbledore said we wouldn't be having any more lessons until I got the memory!"

"Maybe he wants to check on how you're doing?" suggested Y/n coming out of her trance.

Harry unrolled the parchment; but rather than finding Dumbledore's long, narrow, slanted writing he saw an untidy sprawl, very difficult to read due to the presence of large blotches on the parchment where the ink had run.

Dear Harry, Ron, Y/n and Hermione

Aragog died last night. Harry and Ron, you met him and you know how special he was. Hermione and Y/n, I know you'd have liked him. It would mean a lot to me if you'd nip down for the burial later this evening. I'm planning on doing it round dusk, that was his favorite time of day.

I know you're not supposed to be out that late, but you can use the cloak. Wouldn't ask, but I can't face it alone.

Hagrid

"Look at this," said Harry, handing the note to Hermione.

"Oh, for heaven's sake," she said, scanning it quickly and passing it to Y/n, who had already read the note over Hermione's shoulder and passed it to Ron. Ron read it through looking increasingly incredulous.

"He's mental!" he said furiously. "That thing told its mates to eat Harry and me! Told them to help themselves! And now Hagrid expects us to go down there and cry over its horrible hairy body!"