𝟒.𝟖 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐮𝐱𝐛𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐮𝐫𝐦𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐠

Early next morning, Harry woke with a plan fully formed in his mind, as though his sleeping brain had been working on it all night. He got up, dressed in the pale dawn light, left the dormitory without waking Ron, and went back down to the common room. Here he took a piece of parchment from the table and wrote the following letter:

Dear Sirius,

I reckon I just imagined my scar hurting, I was half asleep when I wrote to you last time. There's no point coming back, everything's fine here. Don't worry about me, my head feels completely normal.

Harry

"What are you doing?" came a voice that startled Harry so much that he dropped his quill.

"Er–nothing" Harry replied as Y/n walked over towards him.

"I'm not stupid you know?" said Y/n pausing to allow Harry the chance to explain. 

"I know what your thinking and let me tell you, it's not going to work," said Y/n, settling herself across from Harry.

"I have no idea what you mean" said Harry cooly.

"Oh yeah? So you wouldn't be writing Sirius a letter right now would you? Telling him something along the lines of your scar never hurt? That it was just a dream?" said Y/n raising her eyebrows at Harry.

"How did you–"

"I've known you long enough Harry James Potter to know when you're about to make a stupid decision."

"You don't understand! If Sirius comes here and gets caught it'll be all my fault!"

"I understand perfectly well Harry, but I'll have you know he's not only coming here for you."

Harry considered this. Even if he wrote a letter Sirius would still come to talk to Y/n.

"So you write a letter too!" said Harry.

"It's not going to make a difference Harry! He's already made up his mind, he's probably already started his journey!" said Y/n.

"We've got to try! What if he gets caught? It'll be all our fault. Don't you get it!" whisper yelled Harry.

"I know alright! That prospect has kept me up all night! You're not the only one who cares for him, Harry," said Y/n frustratedly.

Harry stared at her.

"Fine, I'll write a letter but I can guarantee its not going to work" said Y/n and took some of Harry's materials.

Dad,

I appreciate you wanting to come over all the way here, but I can tell you there is no need. You don't have to answer my questions in person and Harry reckons he imagined his scar hurting. Everything's fine here hopefully you're good too.

Love,

Y/n

They then climbed out of the portrait hole, up through the silent castle finally arriving at the Owlery.

Harry easily spotted Hedwig nestled between a barn owl and a tawny, and hurried over to her, sliding a little on the dropping-strewn floor.

It took Harry a while to persuade her to wake up and then to look at him, as she kept shuffling around on her perch, showing him her tail. She was evidently still furious about his lack of gratitude the previous night.

 In the end, it was Y/n who pet Hedwig slowly and praised her, that made Hedwig stick out her leg and allow Y/n to tie the two letters to it.

"Just find him, all right?" Y/n said, stroking Hediwg's back as she carried her on her arm to one of the holes in the wall.