𝟒.𝟏𝟐 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐮𝐧𝐠𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐥

Harry got up on Sunday morning and dressed so inattentively that it was a while before he realized he was trying to pull his hat onto his foot instead of his sock. When he'd finally got all his clothes on the right parts of his body, he hurried off to find Hermione and Y/n, locating them at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall. 

The two girls were eating breakfast with Ginny. Feeling too queasy to eat, Harry waited until Hermione had swallowed her last spoonful of porridge and Y/n chewed her last bit of toast, and then dragged them out onto the grounds.

Harry was about to tell Hermione all about the talk and the dragons but Y/n had done so already. So the trio walked around the grounds together discussing the first task.

"Let's just try and keep you alive until Tuesday evening," Hermione said desperately, "and then we can worry about Karkaroff."

They walked three times around the lake, trying all the way to think of a simple spell that would subdue a dragon. Nothing whatsoever occurred to them, so they retired to the library instead. .

" 'Dragons are extremely difficult to slay, owing to the ancient magic that imbues their thick hides, which none but the most powerful spells can penetrate . . .' But Sirius said a simple one would do it. . . ."

"Let's try some simple spellbooks, then," said Harry.

"I should probably get going. Promised Ron I would teach him the Summoning Charm," said Y/n getting up slowly.

"Yeah go ahead, we'll keep going" said Hermione.

"I'll be back soon!" said Y/n as she walked out the library.

"I have to learn the charm too. . ." trailed off Harry.

"Well, I could teach it to you later but personally I find this a little more important right now," said Hermione, pointing towards her book.

"Well, there are Switching Spells . . . but what's the point of Switching it? Unless you swapped its fangs for wine-gums or something that would make it less dangerous. . . .I'd say Transfigure it, but something that big, you really haven't got a hope. . . unless you're supposed to put the spell on yourself ? Maybe to give yourself extra powers? But they're not simple spells, I mean, we haven't done any of those in class, I only know about them because I've been doing O.W.L. practice papers. . . ." rambled Hermione after a bit.

"Hermione," Harry said, through gritted teeth, "will you shut up for a bit, please? I'm trying to concentrate."

"Oh no, he's back again, why can't he read on his stupid ship?" said Hermione irritably as Viktor Krum slouched in, cast a surly look over at the pair of them, and settled himself in a distant corner with a pile of books."

"Come on, Harry, we'll go back to the common room . . . his fan club'll be here in a moment, twittering away. . . ." Hermione continued.

And sure enough, as they left the library, a gang of girls tiptoed past them, one of them wearing a Bulgaria scarf tied around her waist.

....

Cedric still didn't know about the dragons . . . the only champion who didn't, if Harry was right in thinking that Maxime and Karkaroff would have told Fleur and Krum. . . .

"Y/n, I'll see you in the greenhouses," Harry said, coming to his decision as he watched Cedric leaving the Hall. "Go on, I'll catch you up."

"Harry, you'll be late, the bell's about to ring —"