𝟓.𝟔 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬

"Shall we do Snape's essay first?" said Ron, dipping his quill into his ink. 

They were in the common room now, having successfully escaped the stares in the Great Hall. 

" 'The properties . . . of moonstone . . . and its uses . . . in potionmaking . . .' " Ron muttered, writing the words across the top of his parchment as he spoke them.

"There." He underlined the title, then looked up expectantly at Y/n. "So what are the properties of moonstone and its uses in potionmaking?"

Y/n was deep into her essay already and just muttered "ask Hermione" very un-helpfully.

Ron turned to Hermione.

But Hermione was not listening; she was squinting over into the far corner of the room, where Fred, George, and Lee Jordan were now sitting at the center of a knot of innocent-looking first years, all of whom ' were chewing something that seemed to have come out of a large paper bag that Fred was holding

"No, I'm sorry, they've gone too far," she said, standing up and looking positively furious.

Hermione yanked Y/n's to which the girl protested loudly.

"Come on, Ron."

"I — what?" said Ron, plainly playing for time. "No — come on, Hermione — we can't tell them off for giving out sweets. . . ."

"You know perfectly well that those are bits of Nosebleed Nougat or — or Puking Pastilles or —"

"Fainting Fancies?" Harry suggested quietly.

As Hermione continued talking to Ron, Y/n turned back to her essay determined to finish it.

"Y/n get back here!"

Y/n groaned to which Harry snickered.

Their attention was slightly diverted when one by one, as though hit over the heads with invisible mallets, the first years were slumping unconscious in their seats; some slid right onto the floor, others merely hung over the arms of their chairs, their tongues lolling out.

Most of the people watching were laughing; Hermione, however, squared her shoulders and marched directly over to where Fred and George now stood with clipboards, closely observing the unconscious first years.

Y/n stood awkwardly in the middle of the room before shrugging and sitting back down in her seat.

Ron rose halfway out of his chair, hovered uncertainly for a moment or two, then muttered to Harry, "She's got it under control," before sinking as low in his chair as his lanky frame permitted.

"That's enough!" Hermione said forcefully to Fred and George, both of whom looked up in mild surprise.

"Yeah, you're right," said George, nodding, "this dosage looks strong enough, doesn't it?"

"I told you this morning, you can't test your rubbish on students!"

"We're paying them!" said Fred indignantly.

"Pretty sure she doesn't care!" yelled Y/n,

"It could be dangerous!" said Hermione.

"Rubbish," said Fred.

"Calm down, Hermione, they're fine!" said Lee reassuringly as he walked from first year to first year, inserting purple sweets into their open mouths.

"Yeah, look, they're coming round now," said George.

A few of the first years were indeed stirring. Several looked so 'shocked to find themselves lying on the floor, or dangling off their chairs, that Harry was sure Fred and George had not warned them what the sweets were going to do.