𝟒.𝟏𝟏 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐩𝐮𝐭𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐚 𝐝𝐮𝐨

When Harry woke up on Sunday morning, it took him a moment to remember why he felt so miserable and worried. 

Harry dressed and went down the spiral staircase into the common room. The moment he appeared, the people who had already finished breakfast broke into applause again. 

The prospect of going down into the Great Hall and facing the rest of the Gryffindor, was not inviting. He walked resolutely over to the portrait hole, pushed it open, climbed out of it, and found himself face-to-face with Hermione.

"Hello," she said, holding up a stack of toast, which she was carrying in a napkin. "I brought you this. . . . Want to go for a walk?" "Good idea," said Harry gratefully. Harry appreciated that Hermione was here but he wondered where Y/n was. Did she not believe him either?

Hermione and Harry went downstairs, crossed the entrance hall quickly without looking in at the Great Hall, and were soon striding across the lawn toward the lake. It was a chilly morning, and they kept moving as Harry told Hermione exactly what had happened after he had left the Gryffindor table the night before. 

To his immense relief, Hermione accepted his story without question.

"Well, of course I knew you hadn't entered yourself," she said when he'd finished telling her about the scene in the chamber off the Hall. "The look on your face when Dumbledore read out your name! But the question is, who did put it in? Because Moody's right, Harry . . . I don't think any student could have done it . . . they'd never be able to fool the Goblet, or get over Dumbledore's —"

"Have you seen Y/n?" Harry interrupted. Curiosity was eating away at him and he had to know if one of his best friends trusted him.

Hermione smiled.

"Well of course I have–"

"Yeah, but..." inquired Harry.

Hermione realized what Harry was implied and then replied, "Oh! Yes, yes she believes you as well. She was downright furious when she realized you had to participate in the tournament. She wanted to talk to Professor McGonagall but I told her it was beyond her hands now."

Harry was relieved quite a bit at hearing this but one question still remained.

"Why isn't she here then?"

"Er–She decided to stay with Ron this morning–" said Hermione.

"Ron? You've seen Ron?"

"Erm . . . yes . . . he was at breakfast,"

"Does he still think I entered myself?"

"Well . . . no, I don't think so . . . not really," said Hermione awkwardly.

"What's that supposed to mean, 'not really'?"

"Oh Harry, isn't it obvious?" Hermione said despairingly. "He's jealous!"

"Jealous?" Harry said incredulously. "Jealous of what? He wants to make a prat of himself in front of the whole school, does he?"

"Look," said Hermione patiently, "it's always you who gets all the attention, you know it is. I know it's not your fault," she added quickly, seeing Harry open his mouth furiously. "I know you don't ask for it . . . but — well — you know, Ron's got all those brothers to compete against at home, and you and Y/n being his best friends, and you're really famous and well Y/n's gotten really popular recently — he's always shunted to one side, and he puts up with it, and he never mentions it, but I suppose this is just one time too many. . . ."

"Great," said Harry bitterly. "Really great. Tell him from me I'll swap any time he wants. Tell him from me he's welcome to it. . . . People gawping at my forehead everywhere I go. . . ."