𝟕.𝟕 𝐬𝐮𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫

Their plans were made.

Their preparations complete.

"I hate this thing," Y/n said in a low voice. "I really hate it. It feels all wrong...It feels like it's infecting me." Y/n gestured to the wand that she was barely holding in her fingers.

"It'll probably help you get in character, though," said Ron. "Think what that wand's done!"

"But that's my point!" said Y/n.

Harry looked down at Y/n's wand in his hand. He had been surprised, but pleased, to discover that it worked for him much better than Hermione's had done.

Harry thought he knew what Y/n's problem was, she had not won the walnut wand's allegiance by taking it personally from Bellatrix.

Harry slept badly that night. It was a relief when six o'clock arrived and they could slip out of their sleeping bags, dress in the semidarkness, then creep out into the garden, where they were to meet Hermione, Y/n, and Griphook.

Harry looked up at the stars still glimmering palely in the dark sky and listened to the sea washing backward and forward against the cliff. He was going to miss the sound.

Then the sound of a door opening made him look around. Bellatrix Lestrange was striding across the lawn toward them, accompanied by Hermione and Griphook.

Though Harry knew perfectly well that it was really Y/n, he could not suppress a shiver of loathing.

Hermione came up behind Y/n, slowly tucking her beaded bag into her pockets. "Okay, Ron, come here so I can do you. . . ."

"Right, but remember, I don't like the beard too long —"

"Oh, for heaven's sake, this isn't about looking handsome —"

"It's not that, it gets in the way! But I liked my nose a bit shorter, try and do it the way you did last time."

Hermione sighed and set to work, muttering under her breath as she transformed various aspects of Ron's appearance. He was to be given a completely fake identity, and they were trusting to the malevolent aura cast by Bellatrix to protect him.

Meanwhile Harry, Hermione, and Griphook were to be concealed under the Invisibility Cloak.

"There," said Hermione, "how does he look, Harry?"

It was just possible to discern Ron under his disguise, but only, Harry thought, because he knew him so well.

"Well, he's not my type, but he'll do," said Harry. "Shall we go, then?"

All four of them glanced back at Shell Cottage, lying dark and silent under the fading stars.

Hermione pulled the Invisibility Cloak out of the beaded bag and threw it over herself and then the other two.

"Perfect," Y/n said, bending down to check Harry's feet. "I can't see a thing. Let's go."

Seconds later Harry's feet found pavement and he opened his eyes on Charing Cross Road. The bar of the Leaky Cauldron was nearly deserted.

"Madam Lestrange," murmured Tom, as Y/n passed he inclined his head subserviently.

Y/n merely nodded her head to acknowledge his presence.

"You need to treat people like they're scum!" whispered Harry to Y/n once away from the bartender.

"Fine!" Y/n drew out Bellatrix's wand and tapped a brick in the nondescript wall in front of them. At once the bricks began to whirl and spin. A hole appeared in the middle of them finally forming an archway onto the narrow cobbled street that was Diagon Alley.