Chapter Thirty-One: New Feelings

"You're such an idiot."

A giggle escapes from my lips as Bakugo and I finally reach his house. "Why? I've got spare bandages in my bag."

"Did you bring a change of clothes?"

"Uh... no, but it shouldn't take that long to dry them, right?"

Bakugo gives me the most surprised expression I've ever seen. Though, it might also be a bit of an offended one. "No, you heathen. God why are you so hopeless?"

"What do you mean? I'm not hopeless, just a little forgetful!"

The blonde sighs as we take our shoes off at the door. "Just... ugh. Give me a second, I've got to let the hag know you're here. Try not to drip all over the place."

I roll my eyes at that as he leaves me in the entryway, even though he's just as drenched. After a few moments I hear a familiar woman yelling, along with Bakugo's angry voice.

Well, that's his normal voice anyways. So, no surprise there.

"Benzaiten!" Mitsuki calls as she hurries to the entryway. "Oh dear, you're absolutely soaked! I've put some towels in the bathroom if you'd like to shower, I'll make sure there are some clothes put in as well."

"You're too kind, Mrs. Bakugo," I reply, and the woman waves a hand in dismissal.

"Don't worry about it. You should message your guardian though, I'm sure they're wondering where you are."

Yeah right, I think to myself while giving her a smile in return. She directs me over to the bathroom, a simple white tiled room with a shower-bath. I'm quick to remove the wet clothing and turn on the shower, letting out a sigh of relief. Wet clothes and bandages are NOT fun.

I take a moment to look at my reflection while unwrapping the last of the bandages. My skin is peppered with black and blue, markings left on my leg from when Mr. Crusty Lips tried to disintegrate me. As I stare at myself in the mirror, all of the energy I had washed away like the tides on a moonless night.

I'm such an idiot, I think to myself, slamming my fist into the counter. How could I have gotten so careless? Everyone's doting over me now, like I'm just...

Like I'm just...

I let out a heavy breath as I cut off my own thoughts. Put those emotions away, Zai. There is no room for them now. You'll only drag everyone down if you think that way.

I send a quick text to Aizawa before hopping into the shower, humming to myself as the water runs down my body. My hair begins to stick to my face and skin, a couple strands coming loose and falling to the shower floor. Thankfully, the hot water soothes my aching muscles, even those that had started to go numb from dancing in the rain for so long.

I hear a light knock on the door before it opens, footsteps approaching the counter as the water continues to run. "Hey sweetie," Miss Bakugo's voice rings out clearly over the background noise.

"Masaru and I are going out for the evening, so it'll be just you and Bakugo here. If it gets late and the rain is still going, you're welcome to stay the night. I've already told Bakugo this, so if he makes you walk home in the rain, let me know so I can beat the absolute crap out of him."

I fail to stifle my laugh at the thought. "Alright ma'am, thank you again."

"No problem. Be careful now, I've also laid out some new wrappings so you can bandage yourself up again. I don't really know the extent of your injuries, but you could also ask Bakugo for help if you need it. And if he says no, again, I'll kick his ass."