eighteen.

"you look half dead," mike comments as el enters the kitchen, "gee thanks, mike. it totally wasn't because we were facetiming till 3 in the morning." she comments and grabs the coffee he brought her.

"thanks," she murmurs and sits down on the stool with her eyes half closed.

"cereal, kiddo?" hopper asks as she nods, "yes, please." she lays down on the countertop and turns her face towards mike whilst sticking her tongue out to tease him.

"you liking your coffee there?" he asks her as she nods slowly and sits up straighter, "yes. thank you for bringing me coffee again."

he shrugs, "i drive past, it's fine, el."

she runs a hand through her hair, "i'm so tired, i want to cry."

"cry?" he asks in full concern, "why cry? what happened? is it troy? stacy? what's his face? you know i fucking hate what's his face and break his ugly ass face for you."

she lets out a tired giggle, "no, i'm just tired. tired makes me want to cry because why not."

"anyways..." she grabs her bowl of cereal, "did you do your science homework or were you too dumb?"

"see again with the dumb shit. i'll have to record you and play it for you next time when you deny calling me dumb."

she lets out some tiny giggles, "i'm sorry, i really am." she reaches out, "you're not dumb, i'm just smarter."

"i know," he nods making her smile, "thank you!" she turns to her side and watches storm push in her bowl.

"storm!" mike kneels down as storm looks up and walks over to him.

she circles his legs then leans against him with a quiet purr.

"hi precious," he whispers and pulls her up into his arms, "hey," he pulls her into his chest and kisses her head.

el turns back and smiles softly at them before secretly grabbing her phone to take a photo.

he chuckles and cradles storm in his arms like a baby, "i saw that," he comments and stands up straighter.

"yeah? can i post it then?" she asks, resting her chin on her palm as her elbows set on the countertop.

he nods, "of course." he tickles storms chin making storm nuzzle into his touch more.

"i want another cat now," el frowns, "storm is so lonely."

"don't even think about it." hopper cuts in as el huffs, "i'm thinking."

"you can't take care of it. we can't." he says as mike laughs once storm licks his face.

she sighs, "i know." she takes a bite out of her cereal, "it's just a wish."

☁︎