nineteen.

mike watched as they placed a oxygen mask on el's face. his hand covered his face as they watched them pull the covers on her and finally put el to rest after all the cpr.

"um, excuse me," he stops the doctor before she could exit the room, "is she.. is she going to be okay?"

she smiles weakly, "she'll be fine for now."

"for now?" he asks quietly, his voice cracking as she nods, "yes. her body is very weak at the moment, with the injuries and her lack of nutrition, i'm not sure if she'll make it through the next trigger if she does have one. hopefully not but we just have to wait for her medication to kick in first to see."

he nods. "medication for what exactly?"

"for her arrhythmia." she says with a nod, "her dad is called, you can stay with her for now and call a nurse if she does wake up soon. her hands are bandaged so be careful." she adds before walking pass him and out of the room.

arrhythmia?

el has arrhythmia? since when?

hesitantly, he walks over to the bed, pulling on the chair to sit right next to the bed. he strokes her arm since her hands were both hurt and then looks up at the heart monitor.

he sighs quietly, "please wake up soon. i still need to make hearts with you and have matching panda profile pictures that represent you each day of the week." he lets out a weak smile.

he stands up a bit from the chair, leaning forward to kiss her cheek, "i love you, please wake up soon, el." he whispers and sits back down.

the door opens with a loud bang and mike looks up to see hopper.

he rushes over to the bed, looking el up and down and then strokes her hair before placing a kiss on her forehead.

"what happened to her?" he asks gruffly, looking at her hands.

"i found her like this at the back of the school. i assume troy and stacy." mike whispers out as hopper runs a hand through his hair before heading for the door.

"wait, where are you going?" mike asks softly as he grasps onto the doorknob tightly, "to file a police report and to get their asses in jail." he slams the door shut as mike blinks and then looks down at the floor.

he frowns, looking at el on the bed and resists the urge to grab her hand and to soothe her.

and so he leans back on the chair and waits.

then he notices the clock and the time, he'd probably not make it to his game.

he called the party earlier on in the ambulance to tell them what happened and they should be here soon but as for now, he should call his couch and tell him that he can't make it.

he taps on his phone to text his couch and of course, in a couple of seconds his couch texts back.

couch: are you serious!? you're captain!

and how should he respond to that? his couch was pretty nice compared to other couches around campus.

sighing, mike writes his reply.

mike: girlfriend is in the hospital.

how he wished el was his girlfriend.

couch: oh. dying or like... not dying? they're gonna beat our asses, mike. we need you.

mike rolls his eyes.

mike: yeah, she's dying but thanks for the sympathy, i really appreciate it, couch.