2 - Memories

3 weeks before arrest

I lock the door behind me and hop down from the porch. My feet land with a loud thump! I hop from step stone to step stone. The sun is out, shining brightly down on the town of Roseborn. My hair flies behind me as the wind tickles through it. Leaves crunch under my feet as I walk down the sidewalk to Madam Mara's house.

Madam Mara is my mentor. She's also the protector of our town. She protects the town from the outside world. Long ago witches were everywhere, and then one day that changed. They were hunted and soon enough our little town was the only place accepting of them and magic, so now we protect it. I'm one of the few Madam Mara is training, she keeps us a secret from one another, something about past deaths? I'm not completely sure.

Witches are rare now. We don't inherit magic any more, it's been a long time since it's been in bloodlines. Now we gain our magic through a tragic experience. I got my magic when I was ten.

I stop at a crosswalk and wait for the hand to change to a person.

"Morning," A voice says from behind me.

I turn and find Lucas behind me. His flame red hair hangs in front of his brown glittering eyes. He's wearing his soccer jacket and jeans. "Morning Lucas!" I greet.

"Where are you off to this morning?" he asks, coming up beside me.

"An errand," I lie quickly. I've been lying about this for years, so I always know what to say instead of the truth. Only my parents know where I go on Saturday afternoons.

"Parents doing baking?" He asks, looking down at me.

"Yeah, we ran out of flour. Where are you off to?" I ask.

"Band practice," He answers, hefting a small briefcase up in the air.

"I didn't know you were in band. What do you play?"

"Clarinet."

"Are you any good?"

He laughs, throwing his head back. "If I wasn't good I don't think I'd be in band," he answers, smiling widely.

"That makes sense," I agree. The sign changes from the hand to the person. "Are you heading this way?" I ask, starting across the street.

"Yeah."

We cross in silence.

I've known Lucas for awhile, he's a year older but was held back a year. No one knows why, and whenever I ask I can never get a straight answer from him.

"Guess I'll see you later?" He asks when we get across.

"Yeah, see ya. Good luck with band practice."

"Thanks." He waves and turns away.

I turn and continue heading to Madam Mara's. I wonder what today's lesson will be. Maybe we'll do some more sparing, or she'll teach me to make a potion for a client. It could also be something boring, like learning about the first witches, or the history of our town.

I remember my first lesson with her was about my powers. I was so scared of them, and hated them for the pain they represented but Madam Mara had bent down to look me in the eyes and I remember thinking that her emerald eyes were the prettiest ones I'd ever seen. She'd grabbed my hands and said; "Magic can be born from pain and, yes they might be scary but you can do wonderful things with them."

It hadn't changed my opinion right there but as she taught me, and held me close, I started to stop associating my powers with my pain and started associating them with my love. Now I can't imagine not having them.