18 - Combing Through More Books

Monday, 5 days before arrest

"It's hopeless," I say, taking my books out of my locker and piling it all in my bag.

Mia glances around the hall with a wary look. "We can't give up on him though."

I sigh. Leaning my head against my arm which hangs from the shelf I mumble, "I know. I don't want to."

"And you haven't found anything?"

I shake my head.

I slam my locker shut right as Amber and Lucas come bounding down the hall. I watch like I'm in a dream as they make their way over.

Ever since Amber found out Mia's a witch she's been distancing herself from me. I can't blame her, not really but it still hurts.

"Hey!" Amber exclaims as they stop in front of us.

"Where are you two off to?" I ask, ignoring the way Amber glares at Mia.

Lucas must see it too. "We're heading to the library."

I glance down the hall. "The one in the opposite direction?"

Amber's eyes snap to mine. "No. The town library."

I shift under her glare and her tone. "Sorry," I mumble, even though I have no idea what I did wrong.

Lucas rests a hand on her shoulder. Amber tenses before relaxing and letting him leave it there.

"Sorry," she says, looking me in the eyes with a less intense gaze. "It's been a rough couple of days."

Mia scoffs. "Sure it has."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Amber barks.

Mia rolls her eyes. She shifts her bag higher on her shoulder. "Nothing."

"No. What did you mean?"

Mia ignores her and turns to me. "Should we go? Got lots to do."

I nod. Giving a sheepish smile to Amber I turn around and leave with Mia.

When we step outside Mia turns and goes straight instead of left. "Where are you going?" I call after her. "Weren't we going to look some more?"

She spins around. A wide grin on her face. "Amber gave me an idea and it's at the library."

I raise an eyebrow but don't question her as I run to catch up to her.

Right now, I'll take any idea that isn't looking through books.

***

Turns out, that's exactly what we're doing.

The librarian reaches into a glass case and pulls out a worn old book. The title is barely readable, only four or five letters are still on it. She turns and hands the book to me. "Be careful with it," she warns.

I nod. I know how precious the book is, even if I didn't know about it.

We make our way over to one of the tables in the back corner beside a window. I place the book on it. As I sit down I ask, "What is it exactly?"

"It's a spell book," Mia answers, gazing longingly at the book.

"Why is it here and not with the other ones?" I ask.

She tears her gaze from it and finally looks at me. "It was, until my mom wanted it on display here." She rolls her eyes.

"Why?"

She shrugs. "It's dumb, really."

I stare at her. She can't just tell me that and not explain why. When she notices I won't move until she explains she sighs.