24 - That's The Story

Present. Interrogation room

I don't know when or how, but the tears are falling freely again. I didn't even know I had any left to cry.

I stare down at the silver that is wrapped around my wrists. It digs in and I already know that I'll be bruised by it.

The cops shift in their seats. They don't talk. At least not with their voices.

After a few more minutes of silence one of them gets up, opens the door and slams it. The slam echoes throughout the room for a whole minute. When it dies away I dare to look up at the one left with me.

Ve stares at me with pity in her eyes.

"Why are we still here?" I ask. My voice is rough. Is it from talking? The sobbing? Or because all I want is to go after Niko and hurt him?

Ve sighs. "We can't go after Niko when we don't know where he is. And right now, we need someone else to back up your story."

I grit my teeth. I take a deep breath so that there might be a slim chance I won't yell at her. "It's pointless to keep me here. I need to go after him. Let me do that while you talk to Mia."

Ve looks away.

I raise a brow. "What?"

She turns back to me and clasps her hands in front of her. "No one knows where Mia is."

My mouth drops open.

No.

She can't.

I know she disappeared but I thought she would go home, or to the hospital. But, if she isn't at either of those... then where is she?

"Have you checked Madam Mara's?"

Ve looks over at the mirror. "I'm afraid I can't tell you anything right now."

I grit my teeth. "Why not? I'm innocent! Check my cloth! It should still be blue since I haven't killed anyone." On purpose. I think but don't say. That's how it works, right? It won't change just because I missed Niko and killed Neo instead, right?

"Look, Lumi." This time Ve's eyes are hard and unwavering when she meets my gaze. "We just have to back-up your story before we can let you help or tell you anything. Now, I have a few questi-"

Our heads shoot to the door as a loud bang echoes throughout the station.

"What was that?" Ve asks, shooting up to her feet.

I try to stand but the cuffs linking me to the table hold me down. So I'm stuck in a weird crouch. "It's Niko."

Ve eyes me warily. "He wouldn't hunt you here."

I scoff. He would. "Let me out of these so I can help."

Ve shakes her head and moves to the door. "I can't do that. I'm going to go investigate and help them."

She opens the door.

"Wait! Let me-"

She slips through it and slams it.

"No! Let me help!" I yell after her.

The door stays shut.

I grit my teeth and look at the mirror. I should do what they want and stay. But what if it's Niko out there? They wouldn't stand a chance against him. And, as protector, isn't it my job to protect them?

How can I protect them when I couldn't save Neo?

I shake my head.

I focus my attention on the cuffs. As I focus on the coldness seeping from my skin another bang rings throughout the station with the sound of a few grunts outside the room. I glance up at the door for a brief second before turning back to the cuffs. This time I will my ice to freeze over them. To crack them. The more I push the slower my magic gets.