26

I'd like to note that this book's gonna contain stronger language now + some more adult themes. There won't be anything crazy, but just wanted to give you guys a head's up.

Slashing sounds echoed all around kamar-taj, a soft glow radiating from the square. Wong, just getting out after spending a little too much re-reading books on Visthani, grunted at the disruption against the stillness of the night air. He, letting his guard up, cautiously approached the noise. His shoulders relaxed when he found Hazel Wolfe repeatedly whipping a stone wall. He chuckled to himself and leaned against pillar.

"You know, there are other means to catharsis." He crossed his arms.

"Whatever gets you there, right?" She panted and briefly turned to him, then continued on. Wong slowly walked to her, but kept a distance to avoid the lasso she formed. "What, you're gonna stop me and tell me that Kamar-Taj is no place for unnecessary violence?,"

"Yes." He nodded, and there was some disappointment in her face. "You ought to find another place."

She huffed out some air and continued on. 'Oh, Hazel.' Wong thought and sighed to himself. He placed a hand gently on her wrist to stop her and spoke before she could protest.

"Come with me. I want to show you something." He cocked his head to the other direction. Her brows knitted in curiosity and she let the weapon in her hands disappear.

The man created a portal to a compact and empty room that looked like it smelled of sweat. She flashed him an expression of curiosity and he stepped inside. He gestured for her to step in, and with hesitation, she did. Now that she was inside, she could hear the muffled voices behind the door. Surely, wherever this was, it was a busy places.

"If Stephen find out, you didn't learn about this place from me." He said, and before she could protest or question him, he opened the door.

To say the place was busy was an understatement. It was an overwhelmingly vibrant environment that was being lit up by loud cheers just as much as it was by neon lights. It took her a second to process it all, but it took her breath away. She subconsciously looped her arm around Wong's and he watched her react with a grin on his face.

He lead her outside to walk the halls. There were windows that let people watch different creatures brawl with one another. People were passing money and drinks around, flashing pictures and videos of the fights, and chanting with much passion. As she was about to speak, she met eyes with a man whose eyes doubled in size and mouth turned into an o-shape.

"Y-You're Master Wolfe!" He pointed at her with a gasp. He turned around and put one hand around his mouth to make sure he was heard. "Everybody! It's Master Wolfe! Master Wolfe is here!"

Handfuls and handfuls of people stampeded to their direction. A couple of strangers managed to sneak in a selfie with her. Many spoke at her so much, that she couldn't even understand what they were saying anymore. One pointed to a hoodie he was wearing and showed a picture of her during her mental breakdown with a panicked and pained look on her face.

"Look, you're a meme!" He laughed with glee and tugged at his hoodie over and over.

"Fair enough." She muttered to herself after taking the picture in and sent a wave of light pulsating through the crowd. It had just enough force to knock them over and silence them. They softened their voices when their excitement was replaced by confusion. "What is this place?,"

"I can answer that." A woman wearing a black crop-top and baggy jeans crept up from behind them. She shooed the crowd away from them and they dispersed back into the the fighting pits. "Wong,"

"Xialing, this is Hazel. Hazel, Xialing." He introduced the pair to one another. Xialing offered her hand for a shake and she took it. Her handshake was firm, but not in a dominating way. "She owns the Golden Dragon Club, an underground fighting ring,"

"Underground fighting ring?" Excitement started to introduce itself into her voice. She gasped. "No way! This place is so cool!,"

"Thanks." She chuckled and gestured to the bar down below. "We broadcast every single super-fight going on in the world. Mysterio, Thanos, Team Cap versus Team Stark— everything."

She leaned on the blue-lit bar and hummed to herself. She hated the way she was reacting, but she couldn't help it. Maybe she was spending too much time with Stephen.

"So you broadcast and profit off of our fights for your entertainment while we risk our lives to protect your lives with our own blood, sweat, and tears?" She raised an eyebrow. How inconsiderate and insensitive of them. She heard from Sam Wilson that the government doesn't even give them much for protecting the world; a lot of their support comes from donors.

"The fights'll happen either way, we might as well get a kick. Some of us don't have families to come home to when these things happen. This is our way of coping." She shrugged and slid her an ombre drink in a shot glass that went from red to gold. "I'm sure that's the reason why you're here, too. I've seen you fight,"

"Fair enough." She tilts her head in consideration and shrugs. She nods to the glass. "What's this?,"

"The Golden Dagger. It's a signature drink here, think of it as an initiation, a welcoming gesture." She poured one for herself and Wong. She raised the shot glass and the sorcerers did, too. "Cheers: to new friends."

Hazel shot the drink into her mouth and down her throat. Although it was sweet and tart of pomegranate and mango, the strong kick of alcohol made her lips curl. The woman chuckled at her reaction.

"Fucking Christ, that's strong." She stuck her tongue out briefly and clicked her tongue.

"Not a heavy drinker?,"

"Never got to. Strange, he never lets me." She explained and Wong pat her back knowingly. "It's good, but strong,"

"In that case..." She made her another shot with a cheeky smile and the sorcerer's head fell to her palm. "Loosen up, Wolfe!,"

"Are you trying to get me drunk?" She raised a brow and took the shot. It went down easier, this time. The look on her face was less violent.

"Don't be a baby! Come on."