57

When he woke up and found Hazel missing, Stephen expected her to be in Pentadilune, with Heskit. The sorcerer usually woke up during different times, depending on the day. He checked his watch: 1:28 pm— Hazel should've been home by now. He was to do a round of his duties at 2:00 pm, and he would've wanted to see her at least once. After all, today is a special day. He frowned as the cat rubbed itself on his legs.

"Guess it's just you and me today." He picked it up with one hand. Its claws dug into his shirt as he placed it over his shoulders. "Ow!"

A golden glow appeared from his left. His eyes lit up at sight of Hazel, who wiped a bead of sweat from her forehead. As soon as she made eye contact with him, she perked up. Excitement took over her entire being and she ran to the Sanctum door.

"Wong! He's awake!" Hazel squealed and waved the man into the Sanctum.

Wong entered through the connected door, holding a popper in hand. With a wave of her hand, banners appeared from the ceiling spelling out a birthday greeting. At the same time, Wong pulled the string from the popper that released a handful of confetti into the air. The cat stiffened up and dug its claws deeper into his chest.

"Ta-da!" Hazel chirped and, within a blink of an eye, a chocolate cake with a blue candle appeared in her hands. She enthusiastically shuffled to him and drew it closer. "Happy Birthday!"

Wong caught up and urged him to make a wish. Stephen's face melted into a warm smile as his heart was filled with so many feelings, it was like he could burst. He can't remember the last time he had a birthday celebration. He blew out the candle and she swished her finger, making a wooden table drag itself across the floors. The table was filled with his favorite foods like pizza, sandwiches, a tray of roast beef.

"How sweet." He pursed his lips together and gave a smile. "Thank you, both of you. How'd you know it was my birthday?,"

"I googled it." Wong responded and pulled out a chair, then sat on it with a 'humph'.

Strange bobbed his head to the side with a frown in response. Hazel pointed at the food and gestured for him to sit. He pressed his lips into a thin line and swished the cloak over himself, then got into his tunics with a frown.

"Sorry, kid. Duty calls." He shrugged with a sigh. "But I'll try to make it back early tonight, alright? Four hours, but no promises,"

"I've already done all your things today, your missions." She stated and he tilted his head in surprise. "And for tomorrow, too. So you can stay up late,"

"What?" He scrunched his eyebrows at the revelation— no wonder she looked so tired. He blinked slowly, clearly puzzled. "But...I have some business in Havoc today."

He looked at Wong who shrugged and bobbed his head to her. She gave him a thumbs up. A wave of warmth washed over him, like his heart was touched. His eyes turned glassy and he took a small gulp.

"You...went back to Havoc for me?" He asked, and she nodded. His lips parted in shock. He took a few steps forward and wrapped her in his arms. "Come here."

He squeezed her tightly, almost in a bone crushing pressure. A tinge of guilt lingered inside him— he's only seen a snippet of what she's gone through, but he wouldn't wish it on anyone. How could she have gone back? He purposely took that mission to keep her away from that place, so she'd never have to see it again. Then, he finds out that she willingly went back for him?

"Thank you." He let go of her when he heard his let out a small grunt, signaling the lack of air in her lungs.

"I've got a gift."

She pulls out a black rectangular box and another, smaller, red one. She takes the lid off to reveal the relic she made.

"This one, I've had in development for a while. Wong has one, Heskit, too. When you're in serious, mortal danger, the ring glows red. Mine glows purple, Wong's is yellow." She explained to him. "It heats up, too. The pinky for the left, middle finger for the front and back, right thumb for the right. I've put some of our dna so you can easily cast a tracking spell."

Stephen placed the ring on his middle finger and it instantly multiplied to five, four of them from his pinky to his pointer, and one on his right thumb. He put his hand up higher to see the relic and scrunched his eyebrows.

"How did you do it?" He hummed and took one off, investigating the crystal-like lining in its interior.

"I lined it with Eye of Angula. Then, I made some adjustments." She put her hands on her hips. "If you're wondering if it works, it does. It's Wong-approved,"

"It is." Wong nodded along. "Whoever's in danger, the ring glows that respective color,"

"It keeps you guys under surveillance." She thought out loud and handed him the box. "Don't worry, Heskit's is only in my ring,"

"Huh." He breathed and brought his hand down. "You worked on this? It's as good as a relic,"

"I got some help from Heskit and Shuri, but yeah." She nodded and threw him the black rectangle. "And this is the other one. The first one isn't really counted as a gift since you all got one."

He lifted the lid off and found a circular locket on it, a pit shaped like a heart in the middle. The back had engraved words that read:

My heart's always got room for you. I swear. - H

He took a deep and shaky inhale after reading the letter and thought about the garbage outside in order to stop himself from tearing up. Hazel observed his struggle.

"I know you're not a necklace person, but I thought it'd be nice, yknow? Matching with the one you gave me. They actually click together." She took her necklace off and placed it in the hollow of the necklace, clicking into place. "There's my magic inside, too. If you feel drained or need healing, physically or mentally, you can use it up to five times."

He placed it around his neck and under his tunics. There was a potent and comforting energy in it that almost invigorated him, sending a feeling of security.

"What would I do without you?" He gave her a smile and ruffled her hair, then wrapped her in another hug. "Thank you. You gave me the best day,"

"I, on the other hand, got you a Pilates machine. It's downstairs." Wong got up from his chair and handed him a red paper bag. Strange raised a brow suspiciously at the man and took it. "And this."

Upon checking what was inside, his face flattened out.

"Oh, wow. My... cuff links that have been missing." His tone was flat and had no enthusiasm behind it. "I've been looking for these,"

"Yes." He simply nodded and Hazel gave a snort.

"It's interesting how they went missing a few days before today, almost like whoever took them needed a backup gift,"

"That's an interesting theory." Wong nodded along and Stephen had a growing smirk on his face. "These are brand new,"

"Fuck off, asshole." He chuckled and placed the box back on the paper back with a click of the tongue.