32

After a week and a half of rigorous persuasion, Hazel finally convinced Strange to let her teach a class. Before that time, she spent her days meditating, fasting, and reading— she even took a vow of silence for 3 days, all to increase her self discipline. It was like she was back in her own skin again. There was a drive in her, a sturdier presence, and a deep yearning for excellence.

She was overseeing the one on one sparring sessions that were taking place in the square. She realized just how exclusively Strange had trained her during her early days, using experimental techniques and hard discipline.

"Just a general observation: you rely too much on your relics. Use your environment during combat." She raised her voice to make sure the class heard her. "Class dismissed."

They all gave her a bow and she nodded at them. They dispersed all over the monastery and broke into chatters. There was a presence creeping up behind her, and so she turned.

"I don't remember your classes being this short." Strange commented and smirked at her intuitiveness. "Are you babying my monastery?,"

"No, they just needed less time because I happen to be a good teacher." She quipped and sighed at the cut on his forehead. A bottle of iodine appeared in her hands. A ball of cotton dipped in the bottle then floated and pat his wound. "Remember when we spent hours just sparring when I was like 15?,"

"And I never heard a single complaint." He recalled and poked her arm. "Now, you're a whiner,"

"Am not." She denied and placed a stack of books in his hands. "And, done with all the readings,"

"Im not the librarian,"

"I know, I just wanted to brag." She shrugged and made a portal, then dropped the books off in the library by reaching her hand through it. "Have you noticed that there's an error in the Book of Divine Sources? They-,"

"-Refer to Khaan and Orn as two different beings when they're the same being during different stages of his metamorphosis." he continued and disposed of the cotton ball.

"Yes, but it doesn't stop there. Orn was a loyal follower of many sources. The energy he possesses was bestowed upon him as a reward, which means that all he does is harness it from different sources for accessibility. It's like how the moon reflects the sun's light." She added. He stopped for a second to think about this and narrowed his eyes. "He's like...a buffer source. Technically, he shouldn't even be in the book."

He stopped in his tracks. His ego was a little bit bruised given the fact that, for one, he has a photographic memory, and second, he was the master of the mystic arts. His insecurity was replaced with pride over her and he caught up with the girl.

"And one more thing." She brought out the book of Cagliostro and flipped to the page of her prophecy. She projected the photo in the air using her magic and enhanced the symbols behind her. "Do you recognize these runes at all?,"

"No, I'm certain. At least not light magic." He shook his head. He didn't think that page would ever be of use to them again. "Reading about dark forces gives me disturbances so I rarely ever skim through them, but I'm sure I would recognize them if I had seen them,"

"I know. It's weird, right? Maybe they're just random shapes,"

"Rarely are mystic artists ever that lazy." He denied the idea and shut the book. His tone turned serious. "I'm going to help you get to the bottom of this to the best of my abilities,"

"Thanks, I know." She smiled at him and sat down on a stair. "But I have a feeling this is something personal. I've been feeling called, lately. It's like a new cycle is about to begin. Something big is coming, Stephen. I think destiny's plans are making their way towards me,"

"Whatever this may be, no matter how large this force is, I'm going to protect you, you hear?" He sat down beside her and nudged her. "I'd burn in hell before I'd let anything happen to you,"

"And I, you. Except on my end, even after death, I'd do everything in my power to bring you back. I think Thanos has helped me prove that," she recalled. "What if I find out something horrible about myself?,"

"It won't be horrible. A portion of your purpose was to defend the time stone— no dark being would ever have that bestowed upon them," He assured. "What's a sorcerer gotta do to prove that he'll be your protector, huh?,"

"You know, you're technically a lot older. When you're all grey and old and can't fight anymore, I'll be doing that for you,"

"That won't be for a long time," he shook his head with a scoff.

"You're like, 36! Sometimes I forget you're not 100. Oh! Speaking of," her statements came hit after hit at such a small amount of time, he couldn't even react. She pulled out a blue and red scarf out of thin air. "Ta-da! I made you a scarf! I crocheted it myself!"

It was a medium-thick one that was just the right length for the man. The ends of each one were a little wobbly in appearance, but it was overall rather firm and durable. She looped it around his neck.

"What do you think?" She inquired as they walked into a portal to the New York Sanctum. Stephen felt it up and held it in front of him to get a better view. His eyes narrowed, her brows met. "You hate it."

His gaze immediately transferred to her. He had on an expression that was filled with panic.

"No, no! I love it. It's my new favorite scarf. Blue and red, too!" He put it around his neck again. "Thanks, Hazel. I'll wear it every single time the weather is below body temperature and not another scarf in place."

Her eyes lit up with glee and a wide smile spread. She perked up at a thought.

"Oh, and look!" She made a portal and retrieved Fluffy. He had a red crocheted cloak around him that mimicked the cloak of levitation. He tilted his head, taken aback. "I made him a cloak! Now you're matching, it's cat-you."

She handed him the cat who didn't look amused at all. In fact, he could have sworn Fluffy was growling.

"I made Wong some gloves, hold on." She ran up to her room and left him alone with the cat.

"Poor thing." He lifted him up and met with his eyes.

The cloak perked up at the mini-imitation of it and detached itself from its owner to get a better view. The cat chewed on the collar with determination, but Stephen took it out of his mouth.

"Keep it on for your sake, trust me...You do not wanna get her pissed." He warned, and he took his advice. He made himself comfortable in his arms. "We have got to find her a new hobby."