44

The prince's workroom was a marble studio that had a sturdy, oak table by the grand window that looked out to the sea. It was filled with books, maps, unfinished paintings, different floras. There was something cozy and expressive about it, like it was a room of stories. It smelled like floral and a little sharp, due to the presence of a few glass bottles that had unknown substances in them.

Heskit had a glass pestle in his hand, the standing magnifying glass to his right. He was deep in focus; he never even noticed that Hazel was inside the room. She gazed at him with a certain awe, and she found herself studying the way the sunlight shone on his silvery-brown hair, how his eyes looked like a cross between a galaxy and an ocean. She took notice of her thoughts and stiffened up, then shook her head.

"What are you making? Drugs?" She murmured, and he jumped a little. His face shifted from shock, to jest, to firmness in a span of about 3 seconds. He turned his wheeled chair to her with crossed arms.

"I thought I told you not to come here, Hazel." He sighed. Of course she didn't listen, he should've known. A small part of him was happy that she was there; it was starting to get a little empty without her. She had already been introduced to his daily routine, and the later sessions that were being spent in New York was an adjustment.

"Did you? It's a good thing your parents like me." She shrugged and he shook his head with annoyance. She eyed the glass sheet on his table that had a deep teal powder on it. "What is that?,"

"Paint." He gestured, then stood up from the chair. He put his weight on his arms that were placed on each side of the table, then cocked his head to the different colored jars by the empty canvas on a stand. "I like to make my own paint."

Her eyes doubled in fascination, and the head tilt that he very much expected soon followed. He smirked as she circled around the room. There were different paintings of the landscapes found in Pentadilune, as well as vases of flowers that had different hues. She returned to his workspace. She always knew he was sensitive, but didn't know he was the artistic sensitive type. Hazel gazed at him for a little and connected the dots. She frowned and slowly nodded— makes sense.

"That's so cool!" She praised and pointed to one of the landscapes. She recognized the waterfall that they visited during their first trip. "You painted that? And you made the paint, too?,"

"I do. I'm better with landscapes, I'm afraid I'm not as gifted with people. Sit." He gestured and moved away from the table to make room. He pulled the chair back and she sat down, then pushed her closer to his work. He got on the table and sat on its corner, then poured a syrupy, clear liquid that had that sharp smell on the pile of powder. "I make them from flowers,"

"Flowers?" She felt like a parrot. He mixed the two with a spatula, then started smoothing it out. It turned into a fine paste that was rich in color.

"Yes, flowers. I like them— and floriography." He revealed. She knitted her brows. "The language of flowers."

There was a look of interest and awe in her eyes that made the corners of her lips curl. Slowly, her heart thumped. She took notice of this and dread took over.
No, Hazel. Not him. She scolded herself. He took notice of her expression and handed her the pestle. He squinted his eyes and hummed in thought. He took a green powder and placed it on the table.

"This color for you?" He raised a brow. There was blank expression on her face— she's over her green phase. The bottles of powder clanked. "Cryptic. Black? Gold? Blue? Red?,"

"Both." She replied without even thinking. "Purple. You pick the shade."

He hummed once again and ran his finger over his collection. He placed a heaping pile of a light purple on it, then deepened it with a black. He added a little bit of blue and red as he went along and came up with a deep and mysterious purple. She gave a hum of approval.

"You add a little bit of pressure." He crept up from behind her and putn his hand just above hers, then pressed as she was about to finish smoothing it out. She pulled her grip away from it and he jumped. "Sorry, did I...was that not alright?,"

"No, no, you're fine." She shook her head furiously— his flirtatious nature was starting to get confusing. She crossed her arms and stood. "I'll leave it to the expert, don't wanna mess it up,"

"Actually, it's perfect. Good job." He swiped his hands with one another then clapped. He approached the window, taking in the view for some inspiration with his hands on his hips. He turned around and extended his right one. "Come on, I wanna take you somewhere."

*

Hazel and Heskit walked downwards from a hill that led to the sea, the girl very evidently irritated by their mode of transportation. She had previously suggested to use a traveling potion or a portal, but he insisted on going by foot. They were greeted by a young man in a beige shirt with tan skin. He had black hair and thick brows, a chiseled face, and brown eyes— he looked wilder than Heskit did. As the prince gave him a hug, Hazel narrowed her eyes suspiciously— how is everyone in his social circle attractive?

"Master Wolfe, I've heard a lot about you." He bowed, his voice hoarser. He rose up from kneeling and she offered him a handshake. "Matt,"

"This is Superior Matt, he supervises the South or West when I'm not there." He gestured to the man and pat him on his back harshly. He let out a wheeze. "And my best mate,"

"You've been getting strong, Kit." He observed and clicked his tongue.

The two wrestled for a little bit until they were reminded of her presence when they crashed into her. The three dusted the sand off their clothes and Matt brought out some kind of woodwind. He started to play it, the sound mimicking popping bubbles and windchimes. He began to make a few hand gestures, dragging his feet along the sand.

"What's he doing?" She whispered and inched closer to him. "We doing yoga by the beach, now?"

As if it were on queue, a dolphin-like creature surfaced from the water. It has fins like a dragon's, its skin hologoraphic like the scale of a fish. It was as big as a standard school bus and had what seemed to be gallons of water spritzing out of its hole. Her mouth fell agape and he chuckled at this— other worlds never failed to amaze her. The prince and superior got on it back.

"Come on, we don't have all day!" He held his hand out and she took it. He bobbed his head towards his waist. "Hold on,"

"You sure?" She raised a brow, the creature's skin damp against hers. He grabbed her hands and placed them on his.

"Consider yourself blessed." He cockily smirked. "Enjoy it while you can."

This was followed by a wheeze and a gulp for air when she hit his back, a hollow sound emitting from his chest. He groaned in pain.

"Alright, deserved that."

Matt let a cackle out and whistled twice. The creature sugmerged a fraction of its body in the water, and it darted with such speed that it was cutting through the waves. She let her eyes roam around her environment as they passed by huge limestones, caves, and mountains. The wind came blowing against her hair, and she could barely keep her eyes open from all the saltwater that threatened to splash into her eyes. A few flying fish sped with them and she grinned in fascination. Heskit chortled gently when he turned his head to watch her reaction to the place.

"Psst! Check this out, Haze!" He curled his fingers for her to come closer.

"No way, you're just gonna push me in!" She rejected and gripped on his waist tighter. He snorted and took her hand, then placed them in the water. The bioluminesence was still slightly visible despite the sun, and light followed their fingers. "Woah! This is so cool!"

Heskit grinned at the visible joy on her face; he could watch this all day—her all day. They met eyes, and there was a small jolt of what felt like electricty that travelled through him. He brought himself back and transfixed his gaze to the water that was getting colder and colder.

Hazel was starting to feel the drops turning into a slush of ice crystals, and mist began to exit her mouth. The creature slowly came to a halt, and they stopped by a wooden dock that led to a city of snow.

"Welcome to the south."