|𝐕𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐁𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡|

|Isabel Curtis|

"So how long are you staying in town?" she asked.

"We'll actually, my agency transferred me over from the London office over to the LA office so I'm here until they say so" I explain to my mom, but she's not even paying attention she's looking at the menu.

"That's nice dear," she says but doesn't look up from the menu, instead she waved a waitress down, "Yes, I would love a vodka spritz," she looks back to the rest of the table, "Anyone else want anything?"

"Whiskey. Neat. Three fingers please" my dad says.

"Just a water for me please" Wes says as the waitress nods and writes down the order, she then lifts her head to me.

"And for you Miss?" she asks politely.

"Rum and Coke please" I tell and she nods and rushes away to place our order.

There is an awkward silence for a few moments until my dad speaks up, "So you were in London before here?" he says with a neutral tone.

"Yes, I was there for about five years" I answer smoothly.

"That's nice, Londons great" he asks with a curious tone.

Before I have time to reply my mother speaks up, "Where were you for the other two years" she asks with a head tilt.

"What do you mean?" I ask in a confused and frazzled tone.

"I mean, we haven't seen you in seven years Isabel. You clarified that you were in London for the last five years, but what about the two before that? Where were you?" she explains.

My body tensed and my mind floods with anxiety. I look over to my brother and can see that he too is looking at me in wonder of where I was the other two years. I then shift my gaze to my fathers who looks at my mother with an upset expression. I want to tell them, but they wouldn't understand.

Especially her.

She would just hound me with even more questions about why did I leave with him in the first place then, why did I stay for so long, why did I help myself?

I can feel my heart speeding up and it feels like my stinks in my throat.

"Well? Are you going to answer?" she asks in a slightly snappy attitude.

I clear my throat, "I was um... I was uh-" I stutter while trying to keep my self under control.

"Isabel, what have I told you, ladies don't stutter. So stop and just tell us where you were" she demands.

This.

This is why I left. This is why I made one of the biggest and worst decisions of my life. This. Her. Her constant nagging, critiques, criticism. All the eye rolls, sighs, and constant irritation of me messing up.

"I... I..." I stutter once more and she huffs while rolling her eyes.

"Jesus, if I wanted to hear some open and close their mouth like an idiot I'd go talk to our maid, now just fucking tell us where you were!?" she gritted our through clenched teeth and fists.

"Kaitlyn," my dad said and she looked over to him, "If you don't stop right now I will leave with my daughter and son, and leave you here. Stop it. It's the first time your seeing her in seven goddamn years and your making her uncomfortable. So, fucking quit" he said in a serious tone; This is the first time I've seen my dad stand up to my mom, especially on my behalf.

"Dad it's fine-" I try to say but get cut off.

"No sweetheart, it's not" he says with sad eyes and reaches over to hold my hand.