C H A P T E R • F O R T Y O N E

"You're quiet

"You're quiet."

Dream glanced at me upon hearing my words, before his gaze returned to the horizon. We were headed back to the castle - myself and Dream, George, Punz, Sapnap, Rae and Imane.

"I'm just thinking about everything," Dream responded, squeezing my hand that was clasped in his gently. "I'm happy you found your family."

I smiled at him.

"I'm happy too. I have two families now."

"I'm glad you see it that way," said Sapnap. "I was worried you'd decide to abandon us now that you found them."

I snorted at him.

"I hope you're wildly exaggerating. I would never abandon you lot, not in a million years."

"Aw, Lex!" Beamed Punz.

I laughed at the blonde, ducking behind Dream as we walked, as Punz went to nudge me in a playful manner.

"I, uh... I kinda want to use my birth name more now," I told them, and Dream nodded confirmation, pulling me out from behind him to wrap an arm around me protectively.

"Jett is a cool name," Sapnap grinned. "I'm down to call you that if that's what you want. I think you'll always be Alexa in some way, though."

"The people of the kingdom will still know me as Alexa," I agreed.

We had reached the edge of the forest now, and the civilisation at the outskirts of the kingdom seemed strangely quiet. No one was about on the streets, and although the houses were sparse in this area, i knew it was usually a place that thrived on its friendly neighbourhood.

"Is it just me, or..." began George.

"It is quiet out here," nodded Dream. "I wonder if that's because of the battle with L'Manburg earlier today."

"It shouldn't be," said Sapnap. "We're nowhere near L'Manburg at the moment. Maybe..."

He did not, unfortunately, have time to complete his sentence, as it was interrupted by sudden movement, and a yell of alarm from Punz.

"They're here! Get ready!"

My hand went to my trident instantly, my grip on Dream's hand tightening as warriors dressed in familiar all-black clothing sprang from behind the houses, the trees, and even the ditches. The horizon seemed to be dotted with them, and they were advancing on us quickly. We were vastly outnumbered, with no army to back us up.

"We need to get to the castle," stated Sapnap grimly. "Dream?"

"You're right, we can't just run through them, though," was the king's response. "Rae, Imane, do you have a totem?"

The two girls patted their belts in affirmation.

"The last place I slept was in the Badlands though," said Rae. "Quackity, Karl and I were there last night. If my totem pops, that's where I'll wake up, and that's as good as a death sentence. I'll be considered a traitor."