cornflower

I wondered what she meant by lover when I visited the park that night. The letter didn't even cross my mind until I arrived at the plant beds, seeing a new letter in the place I put mine. I leaned closer and saw a tiny cornflower sprout on the other side of the letter. I opened the letter nervously. It read:

Flower friend,

I'm glad I have someone to help me make this park beautiful.

Thank you,

E...

The name was smudged. Typical. They probably did it on purpose because they didn't want their identity revealed. I didn't want to write back another letter. Rather, I wanted to give them the time and space to reveal themselves when they're ready. It was hard for me to be patient, but when it came to gardening and friends, I had to be.

I wanted to visit the park in the early morning. Sometimes, if I'm lucky enough, I can see the flowers open up as the sun rises. That was the goal I had in mind when I went that morning.

I walked past Jade's house on the way to the park. I sat by the planter, looking down at the bluebells. They were accompanied by so many others, and I remembered the time I went to the park, seeing the lone bluebells for the very first time. I remember wishing there were more flowers. Thanks to the inspiration the mystery gardener had given me, the park had so many more blooms all over the place. I still felt a sadness fill my chest, knowing that the gardener was still unknown.

I sat there for a while, watching as the flowers lifted up to face the sun as it rose. The sun shone through the trees; just a sliver of hope, then it rose above the trees, and it was morning. I got up from the ground and set off towards the street when I heard a rustling coming from the same planter box I was sitting in. On the other side of the planter box, someone sat, looking at the flowers on the opposite side. Did I not notice I was sitting back to back with someone the whole time?

"Oh," I looked at them as they got up. "Hi!? I mean, I'm- wait!" I only caught a glimpse of their face before they turned away, frightened. "I didn't mean to startle you! I had no idea you were there-'' I realized I was talking to myself, because they had disappeared behind the trees. They were so shy - I saw them for a brief moment, and I could make out some of their features. A boy about my age with chin-length brown hair and big blue eyes. A little bit taller than me, skinny, and dressed in a purple t-shirt and brown jeans. That's what I'd seen, at least. I was certain I'd never seen him before, but maybe someone else might've.

"A boy our age? Brown hair and blue eyes? long hair? Trust me, I know everyone in this school." Jade was the right girl for this kind of thing. "Let's see..." she looked into her memory. She named a number of kids at the school, none of them I recognized.

"You're so lucky to have a friend like me, I know everyone," she bragged playfully.

"I am lucky," I told her.

"Aw, thanks!" she continued. "Well, you'd think brown hair and blue eyes is common, but nobody matches the criteria. At least, not at the school."

If he wasn't at the school, where would he be? And who would know him?

"Thanks, Jade, you're awesome." I thanked her.

"Why are you so intent on finding out who this guy is? Do you like him or something?" she asked, suspicious.

"Like him?" I asked. "Why does everyone think that?"

"Everyone? So does someone else know about him?!" Jade squealed.

"Nevermind that. You just like drama, I forgot.

"I don't care about drama! I'm your friend, I just wanna know!" she whined.

"Fine, I asked the english teacher. She thought the same thing. Like- that I would love him or something. Honestly, I don't even know him," I admitted.

"Awww, she knows your secret! Just admit it, girl! Do you think he's cute?" she leaned in closer to hear what I had to say.

"Well, I wouldn't say he's ugly, but I barely saw him, I'm telling you-"

"Oooh!! You think he's cute! I knew it!" she squealed.

"I never said-"

"You like him! You like him!" she teased. I rolled my eyes.

Jade was a handful.