2 | COMPLIMENTS & SCANDAL SHEETS

OPHELIA ONCE AGAIN peered out of the window, looking at all the other carriages as they finally arrived. She took a deep breath as the carriage came to a stop. Two men in the royal red uniforms came up to the door, one opened it while the other placed down a block for the two occupants to use. 

Phillip appeared moments later, followed by Thomas, he offered his hand to his sister, who gratefully took it and stepped out of the carriage. She looked up at the building in awe, yes she had seen many beautiful buildings but she had a strong like for London's architect. 

"Shall we?" Phillip asked, linking his arm with his sister.

Ophelia nodded and they walked inside. Men were not supposed to present themselves to the Queen during this part of the season, which meant Ophelia would be alone. She planned to stay near Viscountess Bridgerton and her daughter until it was their turn to present, just so she didn't feel alone.

They had only met a few times but Violet was ever so sweet to Ophelia, constantly telling her that if she ever needed time away from the men in her family, the Bridgerton home was always available to her. The youngest Hall was ever so grateful for the woman's kindness.

As Ophelia parted from her family, she bumped into Violet Bridgerton, who was holding two feathers in her hand, and her daughter, Daphne.

"I picked up one for you too, dear." Violet smiled, motioning to the feathers.

"Thank you, Viscountess Bridgerton." Ophelia bowed her head.

Violet waved her off a little. "You can call me Violet. Now, let me put these in for you girls."

Daphne had her put in first, it sat perfectly in her hair. Violet then turned to Ophelia, who bowed her head to let the woman place the delicate item in her hair. She lifted her head when done and the Viscountess smiled at the pair.

"You two look wonderful."

Today is a most important day, and for some a terrifying one, for today is the day London's marriage-minded misses are presented to Her Majesty the Queen. May God have mercy on their souls.

The Featheringtons went first, and while Ophelia had not seen what had happened, she heard that Prudence had collapsed in front of the Queen due to a tight corset. 

It is only the Queen's eye that matters today. A glimmer of displeasure and a young lady's value plummets to unthinkable depths. 

The Bridgertons went before Ophelia. From what the young Hall had heard, the Queen seemed very pleased with Daphne, calling her presentation, flawless.

But as we know, the brighter a lady shines, the faster she may burn.

Ophelia raised her head proudly as she heard her name be spoken faintly through the doors. They then swung open and she saw the Queen at the end of the hall. She kept a smile on her face as she walked down alone, she saw her family from the corner of her eyes but made nothing noticeable. 

As she reached the Queen, she sank into a bow and stayed low until something happened. She saw a pair of shoes in her eye sight and heard a few light gasps. She felt a soft gloved hand on her chin, making her stand and look up at the Queen.

"I have heard about you." The Queen whispered under her breath. "You are brave to come alone and I applaud you for that, dear."

She pressed a gentle kiss to the girls head, stepping back to take her throne again. Ophelia bowed, her smile more genuine than before. She turned and walked out of the room, her guard dropping when she found herself alone.

She cover her mouth, shocked that had just happened. She wanted to squeal, run and tell her mother, and with that thought, her smile fell slightly. She shook her head, making sure not to knock the feathers out and sighed softly. 

Quickly composing herself, she left the room to find her family, as she had been the last one presented to the Queen. Thomas spotted her first, walking over like lightening to ask the question that was on his mind.

"What on earth did she say to you?"

Ophelia's smile grew back. "She said I was brave for coming alone, and that she applauds me for that."

Phillip chuckled lightly. "You'll have some competition this season, sister. Along with Miss Bridgerton, you will be the most watched girl."

It has been said that, of all bitches dead or alive, a scribbling woman is the most canine. If that should be true, then this author would like to show you her teeth. My name is Lady Whistledown. You do not know me, and rest assured, you never shall. But be forewarned, dear reader, I certainly know you.

As the family arrived home, talking about how the house will soon be full of suitors for just one young woman, Ophelia couldn't help but feel overwhelmed. She walked behind her father and brothers up the stairs, her eye caught something resting on the wall.

She paused and walked towards it, picking it up and reading the bold name on the front. Lady Whistledown. She smiled slightly, knowing it was a scandal sheet that would be full of gossip. She opened it and skimmed though, her eyes landed on an area with her family name.

Ophelia went inside, finding her father and brothers all in the drawing room. "Look what I have here, a scandal sheet with our names inside by a Lady Whistledown."

Phillip looked over from his seat. "What nonsense does it say?"

"Our newest arrivals are unknown to everyone, bust rest assured, I will find out a secret from them. Perhaps because they are new to London, they will assume they have escaped the London gossip, by they have yet to expose themselves and when they do, I shall be there to document it." Ophelia read out, sitting beside Thomas on the couch. "However, I must say that Ophelia Hall has already left quite a mark on this season as an outsider, a whisper from the Queen and a kiss. This author is just dying to know what was said to the young lady and I am sure I will find out."