20 | ADMITTING & DECIDING

"LADY DANBURY IS right-" Kate tried to speak but was spoken over by Mary.

"Believe me, I want nothing from you."

Lady Sheffield rolled her eyes. "You may not but your daughter certainly does."

Edwina looked at Mary. "Mama?"

"The trust fund we have set up for her. The condition of which clearly states that she must marry a man of good English breeding to inherit. You did not think we would allow another generation to pollute the Sheffield name, did you?"

The room became quiet, Ophelia looked at Antony who was looking a little hurt. Then she looked at Mary and Edwina, who were confused and then lastly at Kate, who looked worried.

"Didi, what are they talking about?" Edwina asked Kate.

"What have you done?" Mary questioned, disappointment laced into her voice.

Violet looked at her son. "Antony, did you know about this?"

The man shook his head. "Lord Hall?"

Phillip was aware but he had thought that all the Sharma's knew so he simply shook his head. 

"I shall explain everything." Kate spoke.

"I see this one had inherited your penchant for avoiding the truth. Or maybe that's something she inherited from her father."

Antony sighed. "That is enough. I can only think you've been exiled from good society because of your deficient manners rather than any other sin. Since the moment you arrived, you have failed to show the proper respect for the Sharma family, and I will not stand for it."

Lord Sheffield began to speak. "I declare-"

"I will not stand for it either." Phillip spoke. "Lady Mary has done admirably in raising her daughters. They are intelligent, kind, loyal women. And a credit to both their parents. And since you clearly do not wish to jeopardize your social standing by associating with such company, I suggest you do not. You may leave my home at once!"

"You cannot be serious."

"Please be so kind as to send for Lord and Lady Sheffield's carriage. They can wait outside."

Antony stood. "And do not trouble yourself for an invitation for the wedding, for you shall not receive one."

Lord Sheffield stood. "This is beyond the pale. And if you think you shall inherit a single sovereign now, you are sorely mistaken."

The couple left and Mary sighed. "Lord Bridgerton, Lady Bridgerton. I must apologize-"

"We should also take our leave." Antony said to Violet.

"Yes." She agreed, she turned to Phillip. "Thank you for the evening, Lord Hall. It was quite enlightening. 

Edwina stood. "My lord-"

"Good evening." Antony bowed his head to them.

The girl then turned to Kate. "You lied to me."

"Please, Bon."

The girl left, along with her mother and so the Hall's decided to retire to their rooms too. Ophelia sighed as she headed down the hall. While she wished it could be her to marry Antony, she did not wish to see Edwina hurt like that in the process. She did not think that Kate was hiding such a thing from her own family.

She noticed Antony at the end of the hallway. "Lord Bridgerton, may I have a word."

"I shall see you at home, mother." The man followed her into the drawing room.