4 | EGGS & BASKETS

THE NEXT MORNING, Ophelia was woken up by Lucy. The girl was already half awake due to the excitement of suitors visiting. She wanted to know everything about them so she may hopefully find a husband during her first season.

"Good morning, miss." Lucy smiled, opening the drapes. "Are you excited for today?"

Ophelia sat up in bed, a smile on her face. "Of course. I can't wait to meet them. Where are my brothers and father?"

"Master William is out today to help the Duke of Hastings with some financial issues, Phillip shall be the one to watch over you and Thomas has headed over to the Featheringtons. And George had locked himself away in the library for the duration of the morning."

The young girl got out of bed and looked at her maid in confusion. "The Featheringtons? Do you know which young Featherington he went to see?"

"Not a Featherington." Lucy spoke, getting out Ophelia's dress for the day, a lilac colour. "A Miss Marina Thompson, she caught his eye last night as he was telling me."

Ophelia nodded lightly. "I assume she is new in town."

Lucy nodded in response. "Yes, she is. However, we should get you ready to meet your suitors, miss."

Dearest reader, this author finds herself compelled to share the most curious of news. It seems our diamond requires a closer inspection. As such, an even rarer jewel of only the most remarkable brilliance, fire and luster has been unearthed. Her name, unknown to most, yet soon known to all, is Miss Marina Thompson. This author is left to wonder whether Her Majesty might reconsider the high praise she once afforded Miss Bridgerton for we all must know what the Queen despises more than anything...being wrong.

Ophelia's home had been full of suitors, too many for her to meet them all in one day. She received many presents and lots of flowers, she appreciated all of them but she had hoped to see Lord Holmes but he had never showed the first day.

And the drawing room at the Bridgerton House currently appears to be emptier than the muddled head of her dearest King George.

As the days past, Lord Holmes had yet to show up at Ophelia's house but she had noticed that less and less suitors were showing up, some were frequent, but others appeared once and then never showed again. It didn't surprise the girl to hear from her brother that many suitors had gone to Miss Thompson.

It follows that Lady Featherington is to receive what she has always desired: the season's true Incomparable living under her own roof. She must be over joyed.

Ophelia fake smiled as the last suitor left, he had been on the girl's nerve for the past few minutes as he only spoke about himself. The girl sighed and looked away until she felt a presence beside her again.

Her head turned as she looked at the person beside her, her eyes grew as she saw Lord Holmes with some flowers in his hand. "Good evening, I am so sorry for not coming sooner, I thought you may have already decided your heart."

"No, not as of yet." Ophelia smiled softly. "No suitor has yet to catch my attention or heart. It does feel like this season may be a long one."

"Do not doubt so soon." He gave a smile back. 

Ambitious mamas rejoice, for the new Duke of Hastings continues to grace our fair city with his presence. And, oh, what an impressive presence it is! It should be noted that the Duke has been overheard announcing to mamas everywhere that he has no plans of every marrying. This author wonders which brazen matchmaker shall rise to such a challenge, for this competition is well underway. 

It has reached my ears that Mr. Thomas Hall shall be awarded the year's grand prize when he sweeps Miss Thompson off her pretty little slippered feet.

"Miss Thompson?" Phillip asked his brother as he sat beside Ophelia.

Thomas smiled. "Yes? She is wonderful brother."

Ophelia clapped lightly, almost jumping in her seat. "Oh how wonderful. It's very sweet, Thomas.

In other news, a most peculiar suitor for Miss Daphne Bridgerton has emerged. 

William placed the scandal sheet down and sighed. "I do feel for the poor girl, Miss Bridgerton of course, from what I have overheard, Lord Berbrooke is quite the character and not the most attractive."

His daughter nodded. "I know, I hope something happens so she does not have to deal with such a man for the rest of her life."

"How are you, dear sister?" Thomas asked. "I know you'd taken a particular liking to Lord Holmes."

The girl blushed a little, her eyes drifting to the flowers he had brought earlier that day. "I am not placing all my eggs into one basket, brother. While he is very kind, I do not know him well enough to decide my future with him."

"I think you should aim higher." Thomas whispered. "Perhaps with a certain Duke."

Ophelia rolled her eyes. "Simon is our friend, Thomas, and besides, we both know he never plans to marry or sire and heir, both things I want. It would be a useless and unhappy marriage."

The boy shrugged a little. "Just a suggestion, what about Anthony Bridgerton?"

"That man has a silver spoon up his arse-"

"Ophelia!" William cut her off. "Language."

"Sorry papa." She sank down in her seat a little. "Anyway, at the Danbury ball, he decided to scare away the first man I spoke to. He is not my brother nor my father and I simply do not like him. However, I am sure his brothers are much kinder than he."

Thomas nodded. "Benedict and Colin are fine men, I have spoken to them many times. I'd say go with Colin, he had his eyes on Marina but I managed to get her first. He seems a little heartbroken."

Ophelia thought for a moment. "Perhaps I will ask for a dance at the next ball we attend."

"Good idea, sister."