6 | LISTS & CALLERS

DEAREST READER. IT has been said that competition is an opportunity for us to rise and stand ready before our greatest of challenges. Well, if what this author hears this morning is true, then a great challenge concerning this season's diamond has been set forth, indeed. Any suitor wishing to gain an audience with Miss Edwina Sharma must first tame the rather prickly spinster of a beast otherwise known as her sister. It is also said that perhaps a friendship should be made with her close friend Miss Ophelia Hall, who's family is entertaining the Sharma's this season.

Ophelia handed the list of suitable men for Edwina to possible marry to Edwina, Mary and Lady Danbury. Kate did have a say in it, having done some research on the men in the ton.

"Lord Lumley." Lady Danbury pointed out. "At the top."

"Is he not something of a dandy?" Edwina questioned.

Kate shook her head. "I would use the term gallant."

"Is that what you look for, Edwina?" Mary asked her daughter.

The girl looked at her sister and her friend. "If Kate and Ophelia believe in him, so do I."

Lady Danbury looked at the list again. "I see you've left off Lord Bridgerton."

Mary looked at her daughter and Ophelia. "Oh, now he is what Edwina is looking for."

"Oversights on your parts, my dears?"

Ophelia scoffed lightly. "Lord Bridgerton is quite adept at conveying false first impressions. He stated rather clearly that he seeks a wife only to fulfill his duty and does not believe in love at all."

"And you find this unusual, Miss Hall? Most marriages of the ton are, in fact, mere matters of business. Matters that have been working for centuries. It is the true love match that is quite rare."

Kate stepped towards her sister. "You know what you are looking for, Bon. You must not forget it. Lord Lumley will turn the Viscount into a distant memory. I am certain."

Of course the only competition that compels my attention is the game of courtship. So best of luck to this year's players. Do try not to stumble on the starting line.

Kate had come over to Ophelia after a man left, she was already through her suitors for the day while Edwina was still talking to Lord Lumley. Kate had left moments earlier to calm all the other men waiting to speak to Edwina, when she came back in she went straight to her friend.

"Lord Bridgerton was here." She said, quiet enough so no one over heard.

"Asking for Edwina, I suppose."

Kate nodded. "Asking my permission to accompany her to the races this afternoon and tomorrow and possible the day after."

Ophelia chuckled lightly. "He is relentless."

Ophelia didn't change much about her day outfit as she got ready for the races, she had added a simple light blue hat and gloves to her already light blue dress. She had arrived with her family and the Sharma's. Lord Lumley had also joined them, accompanying Edwina with them. Phillip walked beside Kate, both speaking to one another about what horse to bet one. Thomas was walking beside Lady Danbury and Mary, also on the same topic of conversation. Ophelia was stuck walking near Edwina and Lord Lumley. 

"It is a marvel you love literature as much as I do. Do you enjoy Byron?" Lord Lumley asked Edwina.

The girl nodded. "I have read some, my lord. Though I believe myself a novice when it comes to poetry."

Kate looked back at the pair. "How fortunate you have found such a well-versed teacher in Lord Lumley, then."

"Many find poetry a flat medium. Words read silently from a page. But I believe it is meant to be read aloud, like music." Lord Lumley spoke. "Here, I carry a small pocket copy of my favourites with me wherever I go."

Another Lord had walked up to Lady Danbury, Mary and Phillip, tipping his hat at them. "Lord Hall, I would be so honored if you could facilitate a proper introduction. I fear my calling card got lost in the shuffle at your home this morning."

Phillip nodded. "Of course. Mr Thomas Dorset, allow me to introduce Miss Hall, Miss Sharma and Miss Edwina Sharma."

"A pleasure."

"I am afraid my sister already has an escort today, Mr Dorset." Kate explained with a small deceiving smile.

"That is very well." He replied. "Through I was hoping to speak with Miss Hall."

Ophelia looked at him before looking at Kate who gave her an actual smile, walking away with her sister. The girl then looked at her brother who shrugged lightly.

"How are you finding the season, Miss Hall?"

"It is a season, Mr Dorset." She replied, unsure of what to say now she had been caught off guard. "I really should-"

"London is a far cry from Scotland." He interrupted. "It is where you traveled from, yes?"

"Yes." She simply responded.

"I have visited. It is a peaceful place. You must miss it dearly."

Ophelia nodded. "Every minute of every day. But most especially at tea time." She glanced around, her eyes landing on Antony who nodded his head at her. "We should find our seats."

"Allow me to join you."

The two walked away, to find their seats beside Edwina, Lord Lumley and Kate. Once found, they all took their seats. Kate, then Edwina, then Lord Lumley, then Ophelia and then Mr Dorset.

"Mr Dorset." Ophelia spoke, deciding to get to know the man if he was to sit with them. "You travel widely, then? And continuously, it seems."

He nodded. "Well, for my studies. I find medicine particularly fascinating."

Kate smirked slightly as she joined their conversation. "The helping of others is a noble interest, indeed. Mr Dorset is much like you in that regard."

To change the topic, Ophelia looked at Edwina. "Have you spoken to Lord Lumley of his interests at all?"

"Lord Bridgerton." He said, suddenly standing up as if to show off.

"Miss Sharma. Miss Edwina." His eyes lingered on Ophelia for a moment too long. "Miss Hall. Lumley."

"How delightful to see you, my lord." Edwina smiled at him

Mr Dorset then stood. "Lord Bridgerton. Allow me to introduce myself. Mr Thomas Dorset."

"Miss Edwina, I was hoping to call on your this morning-"

"My sister is well aware of everything-"

"But I promised my family to join them for breakfast. We are exceptionally close. Break our fasts together regularly. Oh. There they all are now." He pointed out.

Ophelia realised his plan and while everyone else turned to see his beautiful family, she gave the Viscount a disappointed look, which he returned with a smug look.

"One can tell a great deal about a man from his family, I rather think." Edwina said.

The Hall girl nodded. "Yes, there are many excellent, affectionate families of the ton. Are there not?"