8 | COMMOTION & COMPANIONS

THE HALL'S HAD not been invited to the palace with the two Sharma girls and Lady Danbury but that did not matter to Ophelia who decided to take to her library to find something to read but coming out with nothing as she soon realised she had read everything within the place. She left and decided for a small walk om her garden instead, having not noticed the family friends returning back to their home. 

When she arrived back through, walking through the front garden, she was met with the last person she wanted to see. Antony Bridgerton.

"How much clearer must I be?" She looked at the horse in front of her, Nectar, from the races.

"I bought a gift for Miss Edwina."

"Take your Trojan Horse elsewhere."

"I assure you, Miss Hall, this is a very real horse. I do not recommend you climb inside." He tried to joke.

Ophelia rolled her eyes. "Truly, this is all a game to you."

"I am not here to play games."

She scoffed. "Then what was Mr Dorset, if not some deceitful prank?"

"The business with Mr Dorset was not so great a deceit as you imply."

"And now you question my judgment?"

"Only because you questioned mine."

If only looks could kill. "I have never met a man as brazenly presumptuous--"

"I have changed, Miss Hall!"

"You have not, Lord Bridgerton! You are still the same man I met last year."

He stepped slightly closer. "The man who only wanted his sister to marry well?"

She, too, stepped closer. "The man who only changed his mind because another man had told him to do so. The man who tried to decide who I should wed despite the fact you are in no relation to me. The man who is a rake, through and through. Good day, my lord."

Ophelia took the lead off Antony and began to lead Nectar to the stables, not once looking back at him to see if he had left. But she realised he had not when he started speaking again, walking after her.

"Is this about what you heard on the terrace?" Ophelia stopped, looking back at him. "You act as if I'm some kind of villain when every other woman in London aspires for the kind of marriage I am offering. You must know that. You have been exceptionally clear about what it is you do and do not wish for, but has it ever occurred to you this might, in fact, be about what Miss Edwina wishes for instead?"

Edwina came out at that very moment, having heard the muffled shouting through the windows. "Lord Bridgerton."

The Viscounts attitude changed entirely. "Miss Edwina. I have brought you a small token to remember our find time at the races yesterday."

Edwina looked at the horse Ophelia held. "Oh, the horse is for me?"

"I thought you loved animals." He said in a questioning tone.

"I do." She said. "But usually the kind that can curl up on my lap."

He held a confused look on his face. "My apologies. You said something about Nectar reminding you of a beloved horse back at-"

Ophelia smirked, stroking Nectar's neck. "That horse is a character from a novel. A novel of love, in fact. Something for which Edwina is an enthusiast."

"I adore it, my lord. The horse is a generous gesture, indeed."

Ophelia nodded. "I suggest going inside Edwina, while I put Nectar into the stables beside Casper. I shall take care of him."

"You?" Antony said in slight surprise."

She nodded with a small smirk. "Yes, my lord. I do indeed love horses."

Phillip had helped Lady Danbury plan a small soiree for that night at Lady Danbury's home. Ophelia didn't really want to go but when she heard there would be no Antony but Eloise would be there, she decided to join. Thomas had gone to a new gentleman's club and so wouldn't be joining. 

Many of the young ladies gathered in the drawing room to watch the many suitors show their talents and interests to the, but mainly to Edwina. Ophelia wanted to sneak off with Eloise but the pair were right near the front and it would be considered rude of them to leave.

"At least it is the men who are making a fool of themselves." Ophelia commented.

Eloise looked at her. "Was this your idea?"

"I wish I could say yes, but no. Lady Danbury and my brother encouraged a poetry reading. The men, thanks to their spirit and competition, concocted the rest of this farce on their own."

"Of course they did."

Lady Danbury eventually offered them some time of freedom from the men where Eloise dragged Penelope Featherington off, so Ophelia decided not to follow in case it was not for her ears to hear. Instead the girl snuck away from the party, heading out to the stables to see the horses. She would usually go to Casper but instead her heart drew her to the new addition.

She pressed her palm gently to the animals nose. "Nectar, perhaps I was too harsh on you at the race. You are a magnificent horse."

She knew there was to be no response but she liked confiding in animals, they could not tell secrets, nor give any unwanted response. The perfect companion.

"You see, Lord Bridgerton...Antony. Well, you see, that man is not the facade he puts on for Edwina. Last season he was controlling of his sister, almost made her marry Lord Berbrooke, she is lucky he was gossiped out of the city. And then had a duel over quite a silly matter, almost killed my best friend." She kept patting his nose. "But there is something about him that makes me want to go back to him, even when I don't want to."

The horse let out a neigh, as if it was asking what the feeling was.

"He is an arse, yet he is charismatic, and somewhat humorous, I suppose. But he is not good enough for Edwina. I am not being selfish, I am being helpful. I do not think the two would have a happy life together. He is simply duty and she is love, the two do not fit together. I shall stick to the words my father told me, to find a husband in ones dearest friend." She paused. "I suppose I shall need to find that friend first."