28 | DOCTORS & RINGS

ANTONY RACED OVER to Ophelia, jumping off his horse and kneeling beside the unconscious woman. He pulled off his jacket, laying it over her to prevent her from becoming too cold in the rain.

"Come on." He spoke. "Stay with me, Ophelia."

His hand went to the back of her head and when he pulled it away, his hand was red with blood. His heart began to race as he picked up Ophelia and waved over a passing horse and cart. The owner pulled over and allowed them in the back, taking them back to the Hall home as quick as they could.

He practically busted down the door to the Hall House, shocking the maids and servants in the main hall. This caught the attention of Phillip who walked out of his study to see his sister in Antony's arms. The Viscount brought the girl towards what he presumed was her room due to servants pointing that way.

"Call the surgeon at once!" Antony called out.

Everyone heard his booming and worried voice. Thomas left the study quickly, assuming it had something to do with his missing sister. Kate, Mary and Edwina followed and their eyes rested on the limp girl in the Viscounts arms as he ran past, closely followed by Phillip.

George stepped out of his room. "What is happening?" He questioned, having just missed his sister and Antony.

"Nothing." Thomas spoke. "Go back in."

"But-"

"George."

The boy nodded and went back into his room as Thomas joined Antony and Phillip, Ophelia was laid sound on her bed, it was scary to her brothers, she looked like she was dead. The Sharma's waited outside of the room as the surgeon arrived. 

"She has a cut on the back of her head." Antony explained. "I kept pressure on it but it needs stitching."

"Miss Hall? Can you hear me?"

"She needs more blankets. She's shivering!"

The surgeon pushed Antony back. "Allow me to work."

Surprisingly, he stepped away from the girl just as Benedict arrived. "What happened? My valet saw you carry Miss Hall inside. Is she alright?"

"I don't know." He replied.

"Are you alright?"

Antony looked over at Thomas and Phillip, their faces held extreme worry, after all they had lost their mother and father the last two seasons. Now they may lose a sister. Thomas wiped his eyes as he watched the surgeon work on his sister.

"It's my fault." Antony mumbled. "It is all my fault."

Antony left the room as Benedict called out to him. But his voice was distant. Too distant for him to notice.

It had been a week since Ophelia's accident. While she had not been getting worse, she did not seem to be getting better either. She was silent and it was as if she laid asleep. George was her most often company, he eventually found out what happened and he was scared to loose his sister. Phillip and Thomas kept themselves busy, hoping that their family was not under some sort of curse. Edwina and Kate often kept Ophelia company too. Mary and even Lady Danbury visited too, but they did not stay for long.

And Antony, well he hadn't visited since they day be brought her home. He did not like seeing her in such a state knowing that he could have been the cause of her accident in the first place. He knew that Ophelia disliked storms, so why on earth would she head straight out into one?

"You can't do this, Lia." George mumbled, sat beside his sister. "You can't leave me like this. Like mama, and papa. You have so much to teach me. Please. Just wake up."

"George?" She mumbled, her eyes opening slightly.

The boy's eyes lit up at her voice. "Brother! Make haste!"

Ophelia reached out to her brothers hand, smiling at him. George smiled back, tears of happiness escaping his eyes. Phillip and Thomas rushed to the room, a few seconds behind them were the Sharma's.

"George?" Phillip questioned.

"She's awake!"

Thomas smiled. "Send for the doctor."

Her eldest brother sat on her bed. "Do you remember?"

"I remember riding in the park." She said tiredly. "And the fall. Oh, I am so sorry."

Thomas shook his head. "You must not stress, sister. Please, rest."

"Did Lord Bridgerton come to see me?" Ophelia asked, remembering faintly that he had been the one to rescue her.

Kate hesitated. "He...he rescued you in the park. Gallantly, in fact. He brought you back here several days ago."

"And since?"

Kate simply shook her head. 

"I see." The girl nodded. "I must rest."

Much later in that day, Ophelia had a guest arrive. She turned to the door to see Antony stood there with some flowers. She sat up in bed.

"Lord Bridgerton."

"I'm glad to see you're awake." He stood awkwardly for a moment before placing the flowers down.

"I hear it was you who found me and brought me home safe."

"I suppose I must be grateful for your race in the park when you came back. If it were not for that fateful moment, who knows what else could have happened?"

The girl nodded. "Thank you for the flowers. Was there something else, my lord?"

He stared at her for a moment. "I called on you. The morning after. I called on you to apologize. You deserved so much more than that. I took liberties. I...I did not want it to happen like that, so...I came to apologize."

"Yes, you already said-" Ophelia did not want him to apologize but did not expect the next words he said.

"And to ask you to marry me. Miss Hall. I'm here and I'm asking-" He pulled the ring out of his pocket.

"What are you doing? No, no. Antony, I do not need you to ask me anything at all."

"Ophelia."

"I have an answer."