17 | ARGUMENTS & ENGAGEMENTS

"THAT IS A better question for you. Can you make her happy?" Ophelia replied, turning in the dance and facing him. "If your silence is any indication you are reconsidering your deceleration-"

Antony cut her off. "Is that what you want? For me to reconsider?"

"It does not matter what I want."

"I do not think that is true."

She sighed. "I do not think I will marry this season, my lord. I will return to Scotland."

"You will abandon her?" He asked, with an annoyed tone.

"Far from it. I will return next season and she will be married. She will not need me." She bowed to him and a few seconds later, he walked away.

Edwina walked up to the lonely Ophelia. "Where is the Viscount going?"

"I do not know."

"Well, what did you say?" She questioned.

The girl paused, her feelings no longer mattered, she wanted Edwina to be taken cared of and Antony, while a prat, can do that. "I shall find him. Give me a moment."

The girl walked away and found him storming towards his fathers library, she followed just a few steps behind and closed the door behind her once she entered the room. 

"Why are you so distressed?"

Antony was breathing heavily. "When will you leave? Immediately, once Miss Edwina is married?"

"I do not know."

"And you will not concern yourself with finding a match of your own?"

"Not this season it seems, I've been so wrapped up with Edwina and you that I have not danced with many other suitors and none of them have been interesting anyway. But why does that concern you?"

He sighed and walked towards her. "It seems to me that you will find any excuse you can to keep me away from Miss Edwina. That is it, is it not? You simply do not like me."

"Of course I do not like you-"

"Then tell me why. Have I done something to you? Why is it that you dislike me so?"

The girl became caught up in her thoughts, it wasn't that she disliked him. It was the opposite. It was because she could not have him. 

"Because you vex me!"

"And what is it, do you think, you do to me?"

"What? What do I do to you?"

Antony took a step closer to Ophelia. "You...you hate me."

The girl nodded, going against her heart. "Yes. I do. I hate you."

"I am a gentleman." He stepped even closer.

"And you heart is with Edwina."

"And my heart is with her."

His nose brushed against hers. She could feel herself falling into his trap. One where she could lose everything with a simple touch.

"What are you doing?" She whispered.

He moved his lips to her ear. "Say you do not care for me."

She lightly rested her head against his, she could not say such things when she knows how she truly feels. 

"Tell me you feel nothing." He whispered. "And I will walk away."

She shook her head. "I feel...I feel..."

Their lips were seconds away from touching when the door opened. The two pulled away from each other and turned to see Daphne in the doorway.

"Oh. I'm so sorry."

Antony followed his sister as she left the room, glancing back at Ophelia as he did so. The girl stood, dread taking over her body as she realised what could now happen. Daphne could tell, she and Antony would have to marry and Edwina would hate her for the rest of her life.

After the ball, Ophelia found herself alone on the balcony, thinking over all the events that had happened in the last few days. She wiped her eyes as a few tears fell and did not notice Lady Danbury join her until she tapped her cane against the ground.

"Lady Danbury. Uh, what are you still doing up?"

"I could ask you the very same. Its cold out here."

"Lady Danbury, I fear there may be no proposal from the Viscount. I fear I have ruined it for Edwina."

"Because you two cannot get along?"

There was a pause before Ophelia answered. "Yes."

"And why, when you are so close to getting what you want, and what Edwina clearly want's for herself, are you getting in the way?"

"I do not know. I do not know what do to."

"There is only one thing to do. Be honest with Edwina, with yourself. You must tell her how you feel."

"About my dislike for the Viscount?"

"About whatever it is you feel. I am going inside. Careful. Or you shall catch a chill."

Ophelia had a lot to think about during the night, she wanted to go back to the library, borrow another book but she did not want another run in with Antony. So she stayed in her room, thinking about what she has to tell Edwina at some point.

She didn't hate Antony. She loved him. Her heart raced around him. Her thoughts became muddled. She always wanted to be near him. 

Dearest gentle reader, while much occurred at the Bridgerton country visit, this author feels nit all is fit to print. Especially when so much is already known by far too many members of the ton. But if you thought we would reach the end of this journey without this trusted author finding a truly delectable morsel of gossip, then you are sorely mistaken.

Ophelia walked beside Edwina and Kate as they left Aubrey Hall, with no proposal from Antony to Edwina. They bowed their heads to the Bridgerton family as they passed by.

"I am sorry things did not go as planned, Bon." Kate sighed.

"It is not your fault, Didi. We all did everything we could have done. The Viscount's feelings are clearly not there for me. Perhaps they are else where."

While Prudence Featherington seems to have secured her match, it was not the only occurrence of note.

Just as Edwina was about to get into the carriage, Ophelia spoke. "Edwina. There is something I must tell you."

"Wait." Antony called out.

"Lord Bridgerton." Ophelia mumbled with a small smile.

He walked over to them. "Might I speak with you?"

"Of course."

He ignored the Hall girl, his attention on someone else. "That was meant for Miss Edwina."

"My lord?" Edwina said, confused.

Antony got onto one knee and Ophelia felt her whole world break. "Miss Edwina Sharma. Will you marry me?"

Edwina looked at Ophelia who just stared at the sight. "Yes. Yes! Yes! I shall be your Viscountess. I shall marry you."

Antony Bridgerton is now betrothed to Miss Edwina Sharma. Victory, indeed.