3 | OLD FRIENDS & NEW SUITORS

THE SEASON'S OPENING ball at Danbury House is a most highly sought-after invitation indeed, for every darling debutante for Park Lane to Regent Street to Cardiff will be on display.

Ophelia had decided to wear a baby blue dress for the Danbury hall, decorated in jewels. She had her hair up and once again donned a tiara. Her neck held a fabulous necklace and matching earring were included. The gloves once more on her hands.

The carriage pulled up outside the Danbury house and her father helped her out, Thomas and Phillip exiting the carriage after them. George had been left home with a nanny, he was far too young to be at a ball. Ophelia look up at the building, nervousness almost drowning her.

"You will be fine." Thomas whispered with a smile. "Anyhow, you don't have to find your future husband at your first ball."

"Nor you your future wife." The girl responded.

"Exactly."

Titled, chaste, and innocent, this is what they have been raised and trained for since birth. Tonight, we shall discover which young ladies might succeed at securing a match, thereby avoiding the dreadful, dismal condition known as the spinster.

As Ophelia walked in beside her brother, she noticed a lot of suitors and other debutantes staring at her. She kept a smile on her face in an attempt to show no worry. Immediately, Thomas left the family and wandered around to see which debutante he could ask to dance.

Phillip took his brothers spot beside their sister and looked around. "I won't force you to dance with anyone you're uncomfortable with, if you ever feel that way, come find me or father. Now, go have fun, but not too much fun."

Ophelia smiled at her brother and nodded her head, walking away from her family and waiting for the first suitor to come to her. Of course, her family were keeping an eye out on Ophelia.

The first man to come up to her was quite attractive. "Miss Hall. I'm Lord Ambrose."

He took her hand and pressed a kiss to it, bowing slightly.

Ophelia didn't notice another presence behind her until Lord Ambrose looked at them and gave her an apologetic smile before walking out of the ball altogether. The young Hall turned around in confusion and met the eye of Anthony Bridgerton.

The girl bowed slightly. "Lord Bridgerton. May I ask why you scared my suitor away?"

"He is a cheat." He replied. "A man of any honour ensures his debts are fully paid."

"Not to cause a stir, Lord Bridgerton, but you are not my family and I do not need your input on who I should speak to." Ophelia seethed out, bowing and walking away from him.

She then walked right into Lady Danbury, who gave the young girl a smile. "Miss Ophelia Hall, it is good to see you after so long."

The girl bowed, a smile on her face as she turned to the woman she had met a fair few times in her youth, along with a certain new Duke. "Lady Danbury."

"I couldn't help notice the scowl on your face after your very short conversation with Lord Bridgerton."

The girl's scowl appeared again as she lightly glared at the man. "I have yet to have a conversation with him and he seems to want to dictate who I am allowed to talk to at this ball. While I do not know much about the men here, I am quite capable to chose who I wish to talk to."

Lady Danbury smiled. "I'm sure he doesn't mean harm. But, do be careful with who you speak too, dear."

"I will, thank you, Lady Danbury." She bowed again as the woman walked away.

Ophelia let out a small sigh, looking around the room. She paused when she saw a familiar face, one she hadn't seen in a while. A small smile appeared as she walked over the familiar person.

"Simon." She smiled, gently touching his arm to get his attention. "It's been a while, hasn't it?"

The man, Simon, looked at the girl, smiling too. "Ophelia. It has, wow, you've grown like two inches since I saw you last."

The girl gasped playfully and hit his arm. "I've gotten taller than that. But how have you been? I heard the news about your father, you're the Duke of Hastings now."

"I don't dwell on that man." He huffed out. "But, I'm here in London to finish some of his business and then I'm off back home."

"Alone?" Ophelia asked, to which Simon nodded. "If that were true, and I know you quite well, you would not have dared show up to a ball where there are many debutantes."

"I didn't have a choice." He spoke, looking over at Lady Danbury. "I was forced."

Ophelia smirked lightly. "Well, I imagine you're going to be surrounded in about five seconds so I will take my leave."

Simon pouted playfully. "Must you wish pain upon me."

"Always, Simon or should I say, Your Grace." She bowed and then left him and like she said, he was surrounded by debutantes and mama's in less than five seconds.

Not a moment after, a man walked up to Ophelia, bowing in front of her. "I'm Lord Holmes. It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Hall."

Ophelia smiled softly at the man, letting him kiss her hand. "And you, Lord Holmes."

"May I have a dance with you? I have yet to see you on the floor."

The girl nodded. "Of course."

The man took her hand and led her to the floor, joining the dance with others. Ophelia found herself enjoying herself in Lord Holmes' company, a smile on her face. As the dance came to an end, Lord Holmes stood off to the side with Ophelia.

"That was quite entertaining." The girl smiled.

"Yes, I believe it was."

A hand gently touched the girls shoulder, she turned to see Phillip stood there. "Father says it's time to return home."

"So soon?"

"Just for tonight, he says he isn't too well and wishes to sleep."

Ophelia nodded and turned to Lord Holmes. "It was nice meeting you, but my family summons me. Adieu."

"Adieu, Miss Hall."

The two parted and Ophelia joined her father and two brothers at the exit of the ball. She glanced back and managed to catch Simon's eye, giving him a wave goodbye before she left, which he returned.

---------------------------
Timmothée Chalamet
As
Lord John Holmes