14 | ANNIE & HUNTS

IF THE ANCIENT Greeks were members of the ton, they might have added to their Olympic pentathlon one additional event. The hosting of a country visit. This, of course, is the week of Lady Bridgerton's annual Hearts and Flowers Ball, the year's most coveted invitation in the country, and no event better designed to show the might and mettle of its host. 

Ophelia walked into Phillip's room as he put on his cuff-lings. He noticed her through the mirror and smiled, turning to face his sister. He had noticed that the past few days she had been keeping to her self and confining herself in her room. 

"Sister, are you feeling better?" He asked, his eyes looking at the small, hardly noticeable, bee sting.

"Much improved, brother." She pauses. "May I ask you something? About you and Annie."

Phillip's face fell slightly as he heard his deceased wife's name, he cleared his throat and nodded. "What about us?"

The girl sat down at the window. "How did you know you were in love?"

"Well, for myself, I couldn't help but want to be in her company. She made my heart race and my thoughts became a puddle around her." He reminisced about her. "As for Annie, she would always look at me, wanting to catch my eye. She told me how I made her heart beat a thousand times faster and that she felt as though she was in heaven at my touch."

Ophelia smiled as him, he was so caught up in remembering his wife that he as no longer looking at his sister, but at his pocket watch, in the back of it was a tiny painting of Annie. She had long blonde hair, bright blue eyes and the most beautiful smile.

"That sounds like a dream." Ophelia spoke softly.

Phillip turned back to his sister. "Why do you ask? Has someone caught your eye?"

The girl thought for a mere moment before shaking her head. "Not as of yet, brother. I just wanted to know how I will know I found the one."

As the families of the ton began to arrive, the Hall's left the home and went into the garden to speak to others. Thomas was caught up with a few of the young debutantes, Phillip was speaking to Kate of god knows what, George was off playing with Gregory and Hyacinth and Ophelia was wondering around. Or she was until Edwina called out to her.

"Ophelia!" The girl looked over at Edwina who was sat with Antony, a man she didn't particularly want to see in that moment. "Come sit with us."

Antony stood as Ophelia made her way over to the pair. "Miss Hall."

"Lord Bridgerton." The pair then sat down.

Edwina looked at the girl beside her. "Did you tell the Viscount about your bee sting?"

The girl chuckled lightly, finding it ironic that Edwina would say that. "I got stung." She said to Antony.

"Ah." He said softly.

"I am well." She added, remembering how panicked Antony was that day.

"Ah." He said, a little more softly, as if he was relieved.

"Ophelia was telling me how eager she is to see more of the grounds of his magnificent estate." Edwina smiled.

Ophelia looked at the girl, slightly confused. "I was?"

"After having spent the last few days on her own." Edwina continued. "Might you give her a tour today while I spend time with the other ladies?"

"I am certain Lord Bridgerton is occupied with other guests." Ophelia spoke.

Antony shook his head. "Shooting, in fact, with the other gentlemen. The party is to leave quite soon, I'm afraid."

Edwina smirked at her little plan. "Did you know that Ophelia is an excellent shot?"

The man scoffed. "Of course she is."

Benedict came over with a large smile on his face. "Are we all set for the hunt, brother?"

"Indeed we are." Antony said, standing up.

"Ophelia, tell him about the time you shot more birds than your brothers!" Edwina spoke, trying to make sure that Ophelia joined the men on their hunt.

"Miss Edwina-" Antony chuckled lightly.

The girl shook her head. "She is being modest."

Ophelia looked at the smiles on the two men. "Do you not think it true?"

"Perhaps Miss Hall aims straight on the field, but surely she would have some trouble managing--"

"Why would you assume I had any trouble managing at all, my lord?"

"I only mean to say-"

"Because I am a woman?"

"No-no." He snapped. "I did not say that."

Ophelia stood. "You did not need to, you thought it."

The man tried to play it off, looking at Benedict who quickly hid his smile. "Ladies do not hunt."

"Do not or are not allowed to?"

"I am certain that Lord Hall or Sir Hall can act as a chaperone." Edwina added. "Oh, what fun you will all have. Getting to know each other all the better."

That was when Ophelia officially picked up on Edwina's plans. In order to get Antony to propose, she wanted her and Antony to become friends.

"What an excellent idea, Miss Edwina." Benedict smirked. "Surely we can make an exception, just this one time. We are on our private lands after all. And who knows? Perhaps Miss Hall can teach you a thing or two."

Ophelia smirked at the man before she headed back inside to change into something more appropriate for a hunt. It was true that she had hunted a little in the past, not often but whenever her father took the boys out, she would join them. She had held a gun all but twice in her life and she was better than her brothers, having shot five more birds than them on her second try.