29 | FRIENDS & LOVERS

OPHELIA SLOWLY AND carefully made her way to find Edwina, which she did, in her room by the window. She slowly walked into the room.

"Lia, you should not be up on your own." She scolded.

"I am feeling much improved. The most rested I have felt in years, after a week in bed, in fact."

She nodded. "It has been a rather strenuous season."

"Edwina, I know earning your trust again will not be simple. But I am willing to try, however long it may take."

"When you were unwell, all I cared about was you getting better. But know that you are, I do have questions." She sat down and sighed. "Was there always something between you and the Viscount? Were you lying to me all along?"

"I was lying to myself. Perhaps...there was something between us, but I truly did not know it until it was too late."

"But once you knew, why did you not tell me? Why wait for me to put it all together on my own like a fool?"

"I thought I could deny my feelings. But-"

"They were too strong." Edwina finished. "When I found out about your accident, all I could think of is how I do not even know you. Nor do you know yourself. Lia, I am done playing a part. I want to know myself, truly, and to know who you are too. Because I am unsure I like the young ladies we've both been playing. Might we bring our new selves to this ball the Featheringtons are giving tonight?"

"Edwina..."

"I do not want to attend for me. Whatever action you now wish to take, I only hope it is because you are being truthful to yourself, and not because of anyone else."

Ophelia nodded. "Okay."

That night she changed into a pale orange dress, to match Kate and Edwina. She felt as though she was close enough to call them sisters. She smoothed out her dress and looked at herself in the mirror.

Kate knocked on the door and came into the room. "You look beautiful."

"As do you, Kate."

"Are you sure you are alright for attending the ball tonight?"

"I am ready for it." She shrugged with a small smile.

Kate watched her. "You may not be my real sister but I can read you like one. Lord Bridgerton said something to you, didn't he?"

Ophelia sat down on the bench at the end of her bed. "He did."

"What did he ask?" She sat beside her and gently took Ophelia's hands.

She took a deep breath. "He asked me to marry him. Out of obligation after we..."

Kate listened to her trail off. "You are too far into this I fear. You love him and there is no stopping your desire now, Lia."

"I said yes."

Kate paused and then smiled. "You finally did something for yourself."

Ophelia took a deep breath and walked into the ball room beside Kate and Edwina. People of course were whispering as the girl had only woken up from her accident a few days prior, plus the new scandal linked to the Bridgertons. The three walked around until Edwina decided on an idea.

"What do you say? Might we take to the dance floor?"

Kate looked at her sister confused. "Us three? With whom?"

"Ourselves. They cannot possibly say anything about us that we haven not heard before. And should Ophelia's brush with death not be the best social capital yet?"

Edwina pulled their hands onto an empty space beg enough for the three of the. As the music started they began to dance, smiles on their faces as they ignore the stares of the ton. Even as the dance ended, Ophelia could not take her eyes of Antony Bridgerton.

Edwina turned to her, sipping her lemonade. "You will not be able to avoid him all night, Lia. And you should not attempt to. At least, not on my behalf. Be the woman I know you are. Be funny and brave and feeling. Be unafraid to follow your heart after doing the exact opposite for far too long."

The girl pulled her sister away just as Antony walked up to Ophelia, she turned only to be met by him. "Lord Bridgerton."

"Miss Hall." He bowed his head. "I was just on my way outside. We should continue to keep our distance between us, in light of the..."

She took a breath. "Perhaps we should not. Perhaps the spectators might take pity on me. I was on the dance floor days after a terrible head injury. Perhaps I needed someone to steady me. Make sure I was alright. Perhaps you were the first person I found."

Antony smiled at her notion and held up three fingers. "How many?"

"Three." She replied, a smile also on her face.

As he turned his hand, he added a finger and clicked his tongue at her wrong answer. She rolled her eyes playfully.

"Are you going to ask me to dance?"

"Are you going to say yes?"

She held her hand to his and he gladly took it. They walked onto the dance floor and ignored the stares, their eyes only focused on each other. They did not notice how the ton and even the Queen could feel the love they had for one another, expressed through their intimate dancing. They did not even notice when other couples left the dance floor and it was only them.

It was as if the world stopped and it was only them in it. Everything was quiet.

At the end of the song Lady Featherington walked in. "Everyone outside, I have a surprise for you all."

Antony and Ophelia shared their gaze and only broke it when the Queen came over to offer them a smile of support. Ophelia then left his side and went outside to join everyone else. She found a more solitary point, to be away from people but as usual, she was eventually joined by Antony.

"So, have you yet told your brothers?"

Ophelia shook her head. "I plan to tell them tomorrow. Do you want to join me?"

The man nodded. "Of course, shall I bring my family?"

"Of course, it is a celebration, Antony."

He stepped towards her, his expression changing from happy to now more serious. "I was fearful of losing you. It is why I could not visit you after your accident. I could not bring myself to- I love you. I have loved you since the moment we met last season. I've loved you at every dance, on every walk, every time we've been together, and every time we've been apart. You must feel it because I do." He pressed his hand on his heart. "I love you."

"I do not think there is anything else to say...other than I love you too." She finally admitted, opening the cage around her heart and letting down the wall in her mind.

"I want a life that suites us both. I know I am imperfect, but I will humble myself before you because I cannot imagine my life without you, and that is why I wish to marry you."

She smiled a little. "You do know there will never be a day where you do not vex me."

"Is that a promise, Ophelia Hall?"

Fireworks boomed in the distance.

"Yes." Ophelia nodded. "Yes it is a promise."

"Well then. It seems the two of us are finally seeing eye to eye on something."

"I suppose we are." Ophelia mumbled before pulling the man before her into a longed for kiss.